1 122 123 124 125 126 Previous Next 2,251 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2014 1:17 AM by scrutinizer82 Go to original post
  • 1,845. Re: Apple maps very disappointing
    Nogueira Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Apple is more worried about their competitors than correct their own mistakes. Another day, the Apple Maps indicated a boulevard in the middle of the ocean. I have reported several errors in the maps and so far nothing has changed. It seems that we have been talking to the clouds, literally. So I gave up report errors. The Apple be damned.

     

    In your case, probably Apple will lawsuit against Google or Samsung for singing the rain song which spoiled the Siri premonition.

  • 1,846. Re: Apple maps very disappointing
    sdc01 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    William Kucharski wrote:

     

    I realize it has issues, but so did Google Maps for years.


    And I used to write to 5 1/4 " floppy disks. Your point is irrelevant.


    We the consumers (you know, the ones who helped make Apple successful) want the right to choose our mapping system. Apple has taken away this right!

     

    There are features in Google maps that Apple will NEVER have, such as perfect integration with Google Apps, street view, integrations with Google mail, the most accurate mapping system in the world, integration with Panoramio and all the other Google tools, etc.

     

    Why the heck would I want a third rate mapping tool when the person next to me (with his Android) has the best mapping app for a phone? Why? Why?

     

    Apple is becoming ridiculous, their stocks are nearly in a free fall. I want to choose which app is best for my requires and if I must, my next smart phone (in January 2013) will NOT be an Apple product.

     

    When is Apple going to come to its senses and get back to its roots? Do you remember a time when Apple believed in accepting that they cannot be the best at everything?

  • 1,847. Re: Apple maps very disappointing
    William Kucharski Level 6 Level 6 (14,705 points)

    sdc01 wrote:

     

    We the consumers (you know, the ones who helped make Apple successful) want the right to choose our mapping system. Apple has taken away this right! 

     

     

    How did they "take away" this right?

     

    If you didn't like Google Maps, what other mapping choices did you have?

     

    Have any of those gone away?

     

    Apple removed an option that was being ignored by its creator and for which the licenses were expiring.

     

    Meanwhile Google has improved their mobile site to allow for almost all the "lost" functionality and is also working on an iOS app.

     

    If you want integration with Google's suite, perhaps you should go Android, simply because Google's own OS will always have better support than third party (to them) devices like those based on iOS will.

  • 1,848. Re: Apple maps very disappointing
    tommyaustralia Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    The App store is now even suggesting, at a cost of course, alternative mapping applications.

     

    But I agree that Apple hasn't taken away any 'rights' as it's been locked down to the default mail application from day one.

     

    Apple's own CEO has admitted this is a dog's breakfast.

  • 1,849. Re: Apple maps very disappointing
    Bobo123a Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    A boulevard in the middle of the ocean? Liar.

  • 1,850. Re: Apple maps very disappointing
    duckdive Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Google has improved their mobile site but this does not in any way give back almost all of the lost functionality. It is simply a band-aid solution, which pales in comparison to the user experience that existed in ios5.

     

    The google mobile application is slow and sluggish to start with. But most important, it does not integrate with the phone. Previously, in ios5, if I were using Urbanspoon (or Yelp), I would find a restaurant, click on the link, and google maps would open showing me the location of the restaurant. In ios6 on the other hand, on many occasions, you will click on the link and you will be returned with "No Results Found." So will have to copy the address in Urbanspoon, switch application to a mapping service that works, and paste the address. In a way, William Kurcharski is right. Its almost as good, but not quiet...

     

    Or perhaps I open up a contact of mine, click on the address, and apple maps opens up by default. No way of avoiding this. So then when the now familiar "No Results Found' pops up, we can switch back to contacts, copy the address, open up any one of our mapping apps which uses the google engine, paste the address and be done with. That is nearly as good as what it was before.

  • 1,851. Re: Apple maps very disappointing
    William Kucharski Level 6 Level 6 (14,705 points)

    Note that the integration between apps and Maps that you're referencing is hardwired into iOS, so for example even if Maps worked flawlessly it would not allow for a "choice" of mapping apps.

  • 1,852. Re: Apple maps very disappointing
    duckdive Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    You implied that the google web application gave back most of the functionality. I corrected you. Not anywhere near any of the functionality has returned because as you point out, google web app is not integrated. So the entire user experience on an iphone is significantly reduced. If you do not use maps often, or find yourself living in a familiar neighborhood, taking a familiar route to a familiar job, you probably arent really bothered by the lack of mapping integration with reliable data.

  • 1,853. Re: Apple maps very disappointing
    Karin_xox Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Inaccurate, ugly, hard to read..... what a disaster!

     

    Thank heavens we can still install Google Maps on the home screen very easily.

  • 1,854. Re: Apple maps very disappointing
    Nogueira Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Bobo123a wrote:

     

    A boulevard in the middle of the ocean? Liar.

     

    Here's the boulevard in the ocean:

    foto.PNG

     

    So, call liar who promised amazing maps.

  • 1,855. Re: Apple maps very disappointing
    Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (74,885 points)

    Nogueira wrote:

     

    Here's the boulevard in the ocean:

    foto.PNG

     

    So, call liar who promised amazing maps.

    It IS amazing!

    No other maps app does this...

  • 1,856. Re: Apple maps very disappointing
    lkrupp Level 4 Level 4 (3,135 points)

    Karin_xox wrote:

     

    Inaccurate, ugly, hard to read..... what a disaster!

     

    Thank heavens we can still install Google Maps on the home screen very easily.

     

    Disagree completely. I use the Apple maps app all the time. Accurate, easy to use, unlike the Google app it has voice turn-by-turn navigation. The Google Maps app was a feature starved kludge put together by Google and purposely incomplete in order to screw over iOS users and promote Android. Google is evil, just like Microsoft who has always made the Mac version of Office not as good as the Windows version... on purpose.

     

    You are completely wrong in your assessment. I will continue to use Apple maps while you downgrade to an inferior replacement.

  • 1,857. Re: Apple maps very disappointing
    imaybeawhile Level 2 Level 2 (400 points)

    Congratulations - however no-one cares about your experience or that of your alternative login

     

    You and your fellow goaders are really pathetic..

     

    Nogueira - don't rise to their taunts, they enjoy the argument despite being wrong because in the real world they haven't got the balls to argue and they feel all manly here

  • 1,858. Re: Apple maps very disappointing
    Nogueira Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Chris CA wrote:

    It IS amazing!

    No other maps app does this...

     

    Abstract too:

     

    foto (1).PNG

  • 1,859. Re: Apple maps very disappointing
    Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (74,885 points)

    imaybeawhile wrote:

     

     

    Nogueira (aka imaybeawhile) - don't rise to their taunts, they enjoy the argument despite being wrong because in the real world they haven't got the balls to argue and they feel all manly here