Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage verification

Dear forum,

I recently updated to OSX 10.8.2 and I want to link iMessage with my iPhone number but I can't. I add as an email my phone number with country prefix plus + sign but I do not receive any sms or code verification. I read that this process shall be done automatically but this is not my case. So, how can I add phone number to OSX 10.8.2 iMessage? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your time.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 2:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 2:43 PM

I am having this same problem. I also went into apple ID settings and made sure my phone number was in the account. Added it as my mobile number just to be succinct but no luck....

8 replies

Sep 19, 2012 5:25 PM in response to trocotronic

This worked for me just now. Several steps, and maybe they're not all necessary. The goal is, when in Messages (not iMessage anymore!) preferences, to have the option to select your mobile phone number. Don't bother trying to put the mobile number in the email field:

1. Add your mobile number to your AppleID (appleid.apple.com). Make sure it's in the Mobile field, not Phone or something else.

2. On your iPhone go to Messages settings. Remove email addresses if there are any. Turn off messages entirely.

3. Go to your 10.8.2 Mac. Try Messages preferences. Hopefully the number is there.

And actually there was a lot of waiting, repeating, and restarting in and around each step here. Messing with the iPhone was the last thing I tried. When I went back to Messages on the Mac for the 23rd time the mobile number was there.

Sep 20, 2012 6:43 AM in response to Anyonebutromney

I tried 4 or 5 times to perform the aforementioned steps with no luck. Would Apple really have made this so difficult when they were touting how easy it was for your number to be the single interface between io6 and 10.8.2? I know we can't all be california girls, but this one should be easy for a person using OS X since '05 and original iOS. Please help.

Sep 20, 2012 7:37 AM in response to dasocrplar

I was having trouble with this and got it to work just by trying to add a new (legitimate) email to my iCloud account in Messages.app settings on 10.8.2. The act of trying to add a new email prompted me to reauthenticate my iCloud account; upon entering my password, the settings now had a checkbox to enable my phone number.

I think that simply the reauthentication on the Mac may be the secret.

iMessage verification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.