Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail won't open after update

Why does Security Update 2012-004 for 10.6 kick out Mail 4.5 ??

Won't open and the new Mail in the App folder doesn't have an icon and won't open

What the *)U(*Y(_+!!!!

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 3:25 PM

175 replies

Sep 19, 2012 3:52 PM in response to 007Charlie

Think I know how that happened

Contrary to Montain LIon, those softs (mail/QT/Apple Store) did not have to remain in the Application folder and they had been moved to different sub-folders. Guess the update required those to be in the App Folder and could not replace them or update them. Now the old versions have been put back in the App Folder but checking the updates, system tells me all my apps are up to date. Which they obviously are not !!!

Where can I d/l updated versions of Mail and QT ?

Sep 19, 2012 4:25 PM in response to 007Charlie

I had the same problem - my Mail was in the wrong place, and the updater made an inoperable app file. Fortunately, I was able to re-install the update and get the new version of Mail working. I did the following:

1) downloaded the updater image file from Apple, It's called "SecUpd2012-004.dmg"

2) put my old Mail app in the Applications Folder, then

3) opened the disk image and ran the updater.

If you have your old Mail.app file (and App Store file), it should work.

Sep 19, 2012 4:59 PM in response to 007Charlie

Bob-H

You're my HERO 🙂

After spending almost an hour with Apple phone support, the senior tech suggested a few solutions, one of them being reinstalling the system !!!

If not for you, that's probably what I would have done.

No one at Apple Updates was able to figure out that in fOS 10.6, users could displace Apple softs in other files (which you can't do anymore with newer OS).

Solution was simple enough

though QT still doesn't work but with VLC who cares ?

Thanks a mil...

Sep 19, 2012 6:02 PM in response to lainey

It may help, lainey, to do some Disk Utility repair permissions before you install the update, just to clear things up. I also ran the Onyx app to clear out the system cache - and got a few gigs of disk space.

That note about the volume may tell you if the Volume Header needs repair. Running Disk Utility and checking the disk might indicate that.

Mail won't open after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.