Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numeric Key Pad doesn't work.....Where's the Num Loc Key

I read the MAC OS help....no help there. I think I may have hit a key, that is invisibly set as the Num Lock Key. Anyone know how to turn on Num Lock?

Thanks
Deb

eMac 2005 1.42GHz Combo Drive 256MB Tiger 10.4 75GB Mac OS X (10.4) Western Digital (WD) 160GB FW Ext & WD 320gb Media FW Ext, Creative Speakers

Posted on Apr 4, 2006 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2006 6:38 PM

Have you simply tried unplugging the keyboard, waiting a few seconds, and then plugging it back in?
Patrick
9 replies

Apr 5, 2006 5:52 AM in response to Debberss

Debberss,

After trying Patrick's tip about unplugging/replugging the keyboard (a slightly loose USB cable can cause surprisingly strange symptoms), check System Preferences> Universal Access > Mouse tab and make sure you don't have Mouse Keys turned on. Shift+clear on the numeric keypad is marked as num lock on the Mac keyboard I'm using at the moment, but I can't think offhand of any Mac programs that actually use it; problems with the numeric keypad not giving numbers almost always involves Mouse Keys.

Apr 5, 2006 2:19 PM in response to JMVP

Hi all and thanks for the quick replies..I started at the beginning and did all of the recommendations. It turned out to be the mouse keys in universal access, it was on. I was in there earier..to increase the size of the curor and must have turned it on by accident.

Does the clear button work for anything else..or is it just for numeric key loc?

Thanks for everyones help,
Deb

Apr 5, 2006 4:02 PM in response to Debberss

Hi Deb,
I just tried the clear key on my keyboard and it does not work as a Num Lock, or at least does not with the way my system is currently setup. Maybe there is a way to enable it, but my eMac is fairly standard and the default seems to be that the Clear key doesn't seem to do much of anything that I can tell. Let us know if you figure out a use.
Patrick

Apr 5, 2006 10:36 PM in response to PT

HI PT,

Yeah that's about the same conclusion I came to too. Doesn't do anything for my system either. I tried it combo'd with all the option, command, control, shift etc. keys and nothing happened.

Thanks for testing it out too PT.

Deb

eMac 2005 1.42GHz Combo Drive 256MB Tiger 10.4 75GB Mac OS X (10.4) Western Digital (WD) 160GB FW Ext & WD 320gb Media FW Ext, Creative Speakers

Apr 12, 2006 4:30 PM in response to Alan Ogata

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the info links. I needed that keyboard viewer, I didn't know what all the icons were, that made up the keyboard shortcuts, I'm used to OS9 simplicity, of shift, control, option etc + this key = shortcut...lol.

I wonder why Apple doesn't mention the Clear key in the KB doc. They just keep using the term "Num Lock key", like there a key that says "Num Lock" on the new keyboards....lol. I never noticed if my other keyboards have a lite num loc key or not.

Thanks Again,
Deb

Mac OS X (10.4)

Numeric Key Pad doesn't work.....Where's the Num Loc Key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.