This problem started for me on the iOS6.x update on an iPhone5. Since then I have been unabel to conenct this Apple device on my wifi network at home. I was out this week and tried on a public unprotected (=no password) WiFi and it also failed with the dreaded message:
"Unable to join the network "xxxx"
I was told that upgrading to the latest iOS (6.1.3) woudl fix it - it doesn't
Same problem persists
I have other devices (Apple and Android) that all connect fine
I tried the hard reset suggestion - - no success
The only way I have been able ot connect is to follow the suggestion in one post that says bing yrou iphone right over the base station and connect - it connects but as soon as you walk more than 10 ft away it disconnects and then is confused as it is unable to find the network it thinks it is connected to and does nto default ot WAN connection
So this suggestion while interesting is useless
Been having same issue Apple told me today to turn off cellular while home and turn it back on when out. Put ur wifi password where you can copy n paste it (notes) and then reconnect to wifi using ur password. Not a fix but it's better than not ringing up the data n u can use ur wifi on ur phone at home
Has anyone with the problem of the wifi button being 'grayed out' had it fixed? Going to an apple store is not an option since I live in norway and there's none in my area..I bought my phone in august 2012 and I just got this problem a week ago, loong after I updated my ios. I'm quite desperate by now.
I tried all the "solutions" - the only think that actualy allowed me to conenct was to put my phoen next to the wifi router - but connection did not persist when you mopved away.
Updated to the latest iOS 6.1.3 - still failed
Reset network etc
removed the wifi connection and reconnected
turned off WAN data
I went to the apple store and explained - showed the screen shot of failure (of course it connects to their store wifi) and received a like for like exchange
Finally my phone connects to my home wifi with no problems......
I did a restore of my phone and it worked and conencted and I am now about a week into it with no probelms. Not sure i want to update to the next patch - but will have to since iOS 6.1.3 and Microsoft Exchange is a *big* probelm. So much so company has diabled all phones on iOS 6.1.3 from accessing MS Exchange server.....
Fortunately there are several fixes you can try to correct these data issues on your iPhone:
1. Reset network settings. Touch Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.
2. Still having problems? Touch Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings. Warning: You will loose all of your preferences.
3. For YouTube problems on jailbroken iPhones try installing youtubeFix from Cydia or another package installer.
4. Restore your iPhone as a new phone. This is a slow and tedious process but will reset your iPhone as if it was new from the factory. Although this should fix all of the above issues, you will have to reload your contacts and media onto the iPhone from the computer manually. To restore:
- Connect your iPhone to the computer.
- Run iTunes.
- Under the Summary tab select Restore.
- Select backup if you wish. When restoring as a new iPhone you will not use the backup.
- When the process is complete the iPhone will restart.
- When the Set Up You iPhone screen appears select Set up as a new iPhone.
Nope, that only worked for a little while. Reset several times, then it grayed out again.
Tried putting it in airplane mode, turn off, turn on, airplane mode off. Didin't work.
Did that plus "do not disturb" mode, soft reset (off & home button until th eAplle logo come back on.)
That did work for a little while, then disconnected. Not grayed out though after one round.
Now draining batt to zero, then will recharge over night & see what happens.
Not holding out much hope.
Theres a auto channel connect bug. To fix the problem assign a specific channel on your router example channel 11. For an airport devices select the airport utility, select router, edit, wireless, wireless options, then selcet the 2.4 ghz dropbox and change from auto to any off the specified channels listed, repeat this for the 5 ghz channel as well if you use it.