Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you scan a retail coupon into Passbook?

How do you enter your retail coupons and loyalty cards into Passbook?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 5:02 PM

11 replies

Sep 19, 2012 5:34 PM in response to sandy161

I give up!

After a "cooling off" period, just tried Passbook again for the 4th time.

By far the most disappointing APP ANYONE has every created.

Bad that the APP screen does not react to any touches/actions.

Even worse when you go to Passsource.com and appears a PHD in IT development is required.

To cool off, I went to the new Maps APP and it is AWESOME

Sep 19, 2012 6:27 PM in response to Fred Davenport

You don't scan coupons into the Passbook App.

You can import Passbook compatiable coupons etc if a merchant sends them to you by Email or through their own App. At that point you should be able to click the attachment and have the option to import the file to Passbook.

I only think a few companies are actually supporting Passbook right now... Target, Walgreens, Live Nation, Fandango and a couple of others.

Apr 22, 2013 6:48 PM in response to sandy161

Passes can be added via many different ways and Trumania provides many of the ways. But I did want to add that it IS possible to scan Passes into Passbook. (This is the way many companies worldwide are 'issuing Passes')

Basically you embed the Pass URL inside a QR code, so the Pass holder (the consumer) simply scans the QR code with their phone and taken direct to the Pass.

You can try for yourself by scanning the QR code from this 'poster' that was used by Subway in Hong Kong (as you can see in the attached photo).

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Jul 19, 2013 3:46 PM in response to Anatta-P

Can you explain how this works a little deeper, please? I'm running iOS 7 Beta and I scanned the QR code and I got the Subway coupon (thanks for that, BTW, my family LOVES Subway), so will it work if I scan any QR code? For example, I'm going to see a show at a local community theatre and on the ticket there is a QR Code. If I scanned that, would it go into passbook? Thanks so much.

Aug 5, 2013 2:15 AM in response to supersha

If you are running iOS7 Beta and using the scanner in Passbook it will only work if you scan a QR code linking directly to a pkpass package. So the QR code in my post above will work as that is just a generic coupon that is not personalised. However if the QR code takes you to a landing page that asks you for your personal information, so that PassKit can deliver a personalised pass unfortunately the iOS7 scanner will not currently support that. This has been raised as a request for the scanner before iOS7 goes live but the more people that request this the more likely it will happen.

So in summary to your question - the scanning tool in Passbook (iOS7) will only work on QR codes (or PDF417 or Aztec codes) that contain a link to a pkpass pacakge. (and will work for any PassKit Pass that does not contain personalised data).

For any other URL (ie not containing a pkpass) then you will currently need to use another scanning app that can read 2D Barcodes. That can then take you to a webpage - eg a landing page for a facebookpass and then you can enter your information, or connect via facebook, and then a Pass will be generated and displayed which you can then click 'add' (in the top right) and the personalised pass will be added to your Passbook.

Hope that helps

How do you scan a retail coupon into Passbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.