Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow App Store Downloads

I experience very slow downloads from the App Store. I am using iMac Early 2009. My internet dowload speed test comes back with 23-30 Mbits/s, well in range for the 25Mbits/s of my plan. The App store download, e.g. for the Apeeture 3.4 update shows 1h to go for the remaining 500MB.

Anybody else having this problem?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 5:18 PM

8 replies

Dec 13, 2012 6:37 PM in response to Florida712

I'm on iPhone 4S iOS 6.0.1. WiFi broadband is 30Mbps. Speedtest is good, youtube is good. Problem is with App Store download only. Bandwidth stat on my router shows less than 30KBps when downloading from App Store.

The same issue is on my New iPad and iPhone 5. Both of them are on iOS6.0.1.

BTW, iPhone on 3G/LTE network has no such slowness issue with App Store.

Dec 14, 2012 11:55 PM in response to xwaiz

I found a solution for myself. May not work for everyone.

The problem occurs when I was using OpenDNS and Google DNS @ home. Last night, I changed the DNS setting to my ISP's DNS server and download from App Store became very fast, everything back to normal.

I believe it has something to do with App Store's GSLB or CDN setting. When using OpenDNS and Google DNS, App Store connection got directed to either poor performance or congested or far away (high latency) App Store servers -- poor download performance. When using home ISP DNS server, the connection got directed to nearest and/or better performance server -- significant better download performance.

May 12, 2013 9:48 PM in response to xwaiz

Yeah nah changing the DNS settings to my ISPs DNS manually doesn't make any difference for me, for movie downloads on my ATV.

I have a 100Mbps link, and downloads from Apple - and ONLY Apple - take forever (like 2Hr or more before an Apple TV movie will even play)

it seems to me that apple has insufficient infrastructure to support downloads at a reasonable speed.

Slow App Store Downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.