Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 4 says it has 15 GB of "Other" in the storage bar in iTunes. What is it and how do I get rid of it?

My iPhone 4 says it has 15 GB of "Other" in the storage bar in iTunes. What is it and how do I get rid of it?

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 5:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 5:46 PM

Please help.

7 replies

Nov 17, 2012 6:23 PM in response to tennispro.duke

"Other" could mean text messages, settings, etc. It could also be an issue, sometimes iTunes doesn't detect your device properly and just show one big bar across the bottom of how much space is taken up on your iDevice and just label it as "Other," if iTunes is persistent about this, then I would try using iTunes on another computer, or try to uninstall/redownload iTunes to see if it resolves the issue. (Does iTunes just show "Other," or does it show other bars such as "music," "videos," "apps," etc.?) If this problem is causing any errors/issues with iTunes, or the phone, then try restoring the phone (Make sure to backup!), and then restore from backup, and then see if iTunes still does the same.

Nov 17, 2012 6:42 PM in response to Camerongranger

In my case, this must be me. My iPhone has a bug - it's not any of the other things that are considered "other". It's just an issue. I've researched for over an hour, reduced every settings imagineable (Other doesn't go down - in fact, it goes up, almost like, because I freed up space, it wants to fill in the remaining space). I called Apple - after one hour of being inadvertently hung up on twice (they took my number to call me back in case disconnected and never did - amazing) and then talking to another 3 reps, they just "guessed" which I find offensive to my time - just say "I don't know but if you are willing to take a chance, here's a thought..." rather than not be able to say "I don't know". Warning: Resets DO NOT solve this problem unless you do a clean wipe out and start from scratch (w/o restoring your stuff). Two hours later, I've resolved to wipe out my phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.