Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do macbook pro users have to do a disk clean up or defrag?

Do we need to use system tools like a PC would- if so what???

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 6:25 PM

4 replies

Sep 19, 2012 6:32 PM in response to chrismet

OSX defrags itself during regular operation. Some systems that have been running and changing files often for 4 years can encounter an issue ... people try to create a BootCamp partition after 4 years but the space cannot me "moved" at the end of the disk partition. If you simply clone the partition (copies contents, not the "location" of the files) and re-clone-back, it will be clustered again at the beginning.

But most system users will never see this issue unless (A) files become "fixed" after years and (B) people BootCamp.

Sep 19, 2012 6:40 PM in response to chrismet

chrismet wrote:

Do we need to use system tools like a PC would- if so what???

No, 99% of most users don't need to do anything to maintain a Mac.

However some do, if the Mac has a hard drive and it's slow, some steps can be taken to speed it up.

How to properly defrag a Mac's hard drive

If you want to clean the Mac of hidden stuff, like caches etc. then CCleaner for Mac and OnyX for OS X will do the trick, followed by a Security Erase (Zero) of Free Space using Disk Utility. (if a hard drive)

How do I securely delete data from the machine?

Sep 19, 2012 8:11 PM in response to chrismet

OS X has never required disk defragmentation: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1375

I've been using Macs for 27 years, have never defragmented or used OnyX either. For that matter, I have never used any optimizers, "cleaners", "accelerators", "scanners" or any commercial anti-virus junk.

Other than a router, I have no firewall, and I have never had any malware problems.

I keep my systems updated with Software Update or the App Store, and I use Time Machine in case a hard disk fails (none ever have though).

What I don't do is click on unknown links in an email, download torrents, or volunteer my account name and password unless I know what is requesting it and why.

Do macbook pro users have to do a disk clean up or defrag?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.