Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating from iMovie08 to 09

I have iMovie08 on my desktop (and it gives me a lot of grief). I have Snow Leopard, but I don't know how to get to iMovie 09--all updates in app store appear to be 11 only. I can't update to Lion or Mountain Lion because of incompatibility with Adobe Connect. (Have to use Connect for my work.)

iMac (24-inch Early 2008)

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 8:33 PM

Apple no longer sells iMovie 09, but you may be able to find it on eBay or Amazon. You will need to buy iLife 09. iMovie is part of the iLife package. You cannot get it separately, except for iMovie 11 on the App Store.

3 replies

Sep 20, 2012 3:38 AM in response to Jayme Adelson-Goldstein

OK, the fellow in the Genius Bar may have been confused on two counts.

1) iMovie 11 is called Version 9 (go figure), while iMovie 09 (part of iLife 09) is called version 8. You are currently on iMovie 08, which is version 7.1.4.

2) To make it further complicated, iMovie 11 should run on Snow Leopard, but only up to version 9.0.4. If you have Snow Leopard, you cannot update to 9.0.5, so 9.0.4 is the last update for you. Once they added Retina Display support, it would no longer run on Snow Leopard.

So the version currently selling in the App Store will not run on Snow Leopard.

Once again, you can go on eBay or Amazon and get iLife 11 (or iLife 09).

Also, it would not hurt to contact Mac App Store support and see if they can sell you iMovie 11 in an earlier version. They may get this question a lot.

Updating from iMovie08 to 09

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.