Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Facetime over the Cellular Network

I just found out that I am unable to use FaceTime over AT&T's network even though I have updated to IOS6. This is because I have to subscribe to AT&T's SHARED data plan. I have 5 phones on my plan and we all have our own data plan. I would have to purchase 1 Data Plan to be shared amongst all of us. I was unaware of this at the time it was announced by Apple to provide this feature. AT&T also never put out a notification that this would be required in order to do FaceTime over the network. I am very dissappointed in AT&T that they would require the data plan for this feature to work. I am just putting this notification out in case anyone has the same issue.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 9:17 PM

3 replies

Sep 24, 2012 7:15 PM in response to GJBPA

I just got off the phone with AT&T saying that I should transfer to a SHARED plan in order to use Facetime with cellular data. I also noted there is no information on AT&T website of such limitation if you are not selecting a SHARED plan. The operator at AT&T was a little rude by sayting if I am not happy with the product I can return it. I told him the product if fine but their website is misleading to the customers. He replied... "Now you are informed."

I had called AT&T earlier today and at no time they informed me of this. They even had me to call Apple Care to find out if it was a iPhone issue. Apple Care said they received many calls about the same problem and that AT&T had to activate this feature.

Of course this feature will cost more in the end with less data. (5Gigs vice 4Gigs) I don't undersand the technical reason as to why if I pay $50 for data it cannot be used over a regular plan.

Using Facetime over the Cellular Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.