Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro hosed from 10.8.2

I just installed the 10.8.2 upgrade on my Mac Pro and now when I boot I get a messed up screen, see attached. I can access the shared drives, except none of the drives attached to my eSATA cards are showing.

I can't access the system through Screen Sharing, just never connects.

Anyone else having any problems similar to this?

User uploaded file

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 9:53 PM

26 replies

Sep 20, 2012 12:29 AM in response to NOYBUS

i had exactly the same screen of go no further when i installed 10.8.2 this morning. i did a fresh 10.8 install this afternoon to salvage it - but as soon as i ran software update and tried to install the 10.8.2 update i got the same screen and cannot boot the machine.

currently restoring a time machine back up to 10.8.1 and will sit on that until i know more

video card issue?

Sep 20, 2012 8:19 AM in response to The hatter

I've got a mid-2010 (5,1) with 96GB of ram (2x32+2x16), a 256GB SSD boot drive, a single ATI Radeon 5770 running with MDP to an LED display (I tried the DVI connector too ... didn't work), four 2TB drives as a striped array in the four drive bays, and two Sonnet Temp SATA cards, an E2P and an E4P. I initially thought it might be the card drivers hosing things as when I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion it kicked out the drivers for the E2P as incompatible software, but forums said to just reinstall the same drivers and it worked.

I'm using recovery mode right now to restore from the 10.8.1 time machine backup.

Sep 20, 2012 8:37 AM in response to NOYBUS

Dual boot is my advice - with any update.

Using Cloning as a Backup Strategy

It is not unusual for even a security update to break things like 3rd party.

clone OS to hard drive (twice, once for archive can be 120GB sparse disk image) / that way you have a backup to boot from with 10.X.x / apply the update and insure it works / erase and restore to SSD

I would never use restore and recover from TimeMachine or at least I'd always have bootable clone style backups too.

What we know about 10.8.2 so far...

12.2.0 Darwin kernel

• Updated AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA graphics drivers
  • If you use customized or edited graphics kexts, it will be necessary to make the edits again using the new drivers as a base.
  • If you OpenCL Enabler, reapply it before reboot
  • If you've used the official 10.8.1 Nvidia drivers to fix glitchy Fermi cards, reapply the drivers before reboot
  • Updated audio drivers
  • You will have to reinstall the Patched AppleHDA using MultiBeast before rebooting.
  • If you use VoodooHDA, you will not need to make any modifications

I thought 16GB DIMMs were max, guess even that barrier is gone? How to test those being affected?

Sep 20, 2012 9:00 AM in response to NOYBUS

its funny the similarities between the set up of your machine, my machine and the specs posted by Mlenny (thx!)

i have mid 2010 5,1 12 core running 96Gb of RAM (16Gb x 6) with a 200GB SSD boot drive in the 2nd optical bay and four 3TB hitachi HDDs in the internal bays in a RAID 0 setup. i have the ATI Radeon HD 5870 driving two 30 inch monitors and in the other pci-e slots i have an ATTO R680 driving an external RAID6 array and a CalDigit USB3.0 / eSata 6Gb card.

i have seen a dramatic uptick in kernal panics since i upgraded to 10.8. like you i have been skeptical about the stability of the drivers for these cards in 10.8.x but have not had time to investigate

in my experience with the 10.8.2 upgrade i got through the final part of the installation process both times and was mid way through the final reboot into 10.8.2 that the screen to NOYBUS's post appeared on my machine (after the apple sign appeared on the light grey screen but before the login screen). any ideas what could be causing it?

Sep 20, 2012 9:11 AM in response to chang yai

I guess it`s a pure Mac Pro <> Graphic Driver Problem. So far I can only read that the newer ATI Graphic Cards are affected. Running (again) under 10.8.1 all is fine - thanks to CCC Software - but right now I found no way to upgrade to 10.8.2 with my configuration. Here again from my posting: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4315832%2319640392%2319640392

Mac Pro 2009 2x 2.66 GhZ Quad-Core

96 GB RAM - 3x 16GB + 3x 16GB

ATI RADEON HD5870 1GB

Apple RAID Card installed (with 4 drives raid 5 attached)

Apple Fibre Channel Card installed (2x 4GB Fiberchannel)

Monitor NEC PA301W

Booting from a Crucial M$ 512MB SSD

Sep 20, 2012 3:22 PM in response to NOYBUS

I got a notification that worries me a bit: "Updates Available. Your computer will restart to complete these updates." When I click on the notification it takes me to the updates tab of the app store, and the 10.8.2 update is NOT showing. (The only update visible show is the XCode v 4.5 update.) This is making me think it automatically installed 10.8.2 again and is waiting for a restart. Is that possible?

Sep 21, 2012 11:59 AM in response to NOYBUS

After successfully installing 10.8.2 from 10.8.1 - which never worked with 96 GB (6x 16GB) on my Mac Pro, it worked perfectly with reducing the RAM to 48 GB. See posting above.

After the 10.8.2 Update I added again 16GB to a total of 64 GB - WORKED!

Then I tried it again with all 6x 16GB (3x 16 + 3x 16Gb) FAILED ... again the same frozen broken screen on 10.8.2 - whitch works PERFECTLY under 10.8.1 (!!)

Last not least I added 1x 16GB more, so right now I have 3x 16GB on Bank 1 + 2x 16GB on Bank 2 - in total 80GB and it WORKS!!!

The memory is fine ! as i changed the different RAM Modules, so it`s NOT a defective RAM Module. For me right now the solution is either to run 10.8.2 with 80GB OR 10.8.1 with 96GB.

I guess this really has to be a BUG, or has anybody else another idea WHY 96GB RAM work on 10.8.1 and (in my case max. 80 GB RAM) work only in 10.8.2?

Maybe this solves some problems for other with >64GB RAM installed when they want to upgrade from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2 .... If you can run your system with more than 80GB PLEASE let me know. Right now I have at least one spare 16GB module.

so that config is working now:

Mac Pro 2009 2x 2.66 GhZ Quad-Core

80 GB RAM - 3x 16GB + 2x 16GB

ATI RADEON HD5870 1GB

Apple RAID Card installed (with 4 drives raid 5 attached)

Apple Fibre Channel Card installed (2x 4GB Fiberchannel)

Monitor NEC PA301W

Booting from a Crucial M$ 512MB SSD

Mac Pro hosed from 10.8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.