Previous 1 2 Next 26 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2012 12:39 PM by Grant Bennet-Alder
NOYBUS Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

I just installed the 10.8.2 upgrade on my Mac Pro and now when I boot I get a messed up screen, see attached.  I can access the shared drives, except none of the drives attached to my eSATA cards are showing.

I can't access the system through Screen Sharing, just never connects.

Anyone else having any problems similar to this? 

IMG_0593.JPG

• chang yai Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

i had exactly the same screen of go no further when i installed 10.8.2 this morning. i did a fresh 10.8 install this afternoon to salvage it - but as soon as i ran software update and tried to install the 10.8.2 update i got the same screen and cannot boot the machine.

currently restoring a time machine back up to 10.8.1 and will sit on that until i know more

video card issue?

• belkins8 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I get the exact same white screen of death, and posted about it here:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19640392#19640392

You might compare setups for any commonality, but so far there doesn't appear to be any, other than MacPros.

Thanks,

• The hatter Level 9 Level 9 (60,790 points)

Why not list what your Mac Pro hardware configuration is? obviously 3,1 or later but what else.

• NOYBUS Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

I've got a mid-2010 (5,1) with 96GB of ram (2x32+2x16), a 256GB SSD boot drive, a single ATI Radeon 5770 running with MDP to an LED display (I tried the DVI connector too ... didn't work), four 2TB drives as a striped array in the four drive bays, and two Sonnet Temp SATA cards, an E2P and an E4P.  I initially thought it might be the card drivers hosing things as when I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion it kicked out the drivers for the E2P as incompatible software, but forums said to just reinstall the same drivers and it worked.

I'm using recovery mode right now to restore from the 10.8.1 time machine backup.

• Mlenny Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

i have the same issue upgrading from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2 with my mac pro 2009!

see my post here:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19640392#19640392%2319640392

• The hatter Level 9 Level 9 (60,790 points)

Dual boot is my advice - with any update.

Using Cloning as a Backup Strategy

It is not unusual for even a security update to break things like 3rd party.
    clone OS to hard drive (twice, once for archive can be 120GB sparse disk image) / that way you have a backup to boot from with 10.X.x / apply the update and insure it works / erase and restore to SSD
    I would never use restore and recover from TimeMachine or at least I'd always have bootable clone style backups too.

What we know about 10.8.2 so far...

• 12.2.0 Darwin kernel

• Updated AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA graphics drivers
    • If you use customized or edited graphics kexts, it will be necessary to make the edits again using the new drivers as a base.
    • If you OpenCL Enabler, reapply it before reboot
    • If you've used the official 10.8.1 Nvidia drivers to fix glitchy Fermi cards, reapply the drivers before reboot
    • Updated audio drivers
    • You will have to reinstall the Patched AppleHDA using MultiBeast before rebooting.
    • If you use VoodooHDA, you will not need to make any modifications

I thought 16GB DIMMs were max, guess even that barrier is gone? How to test those being affected?
  • chang yai Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

its funny the similarities between the set up of your machine, my machine and the specs posted by Mlenny (thx!)

i have mid 2010 5,1 12 core running 96Gb of RAM (16Gb x 6) with a 200GB SSD boot drive in the 2nd optical bay and four 3TB hitachi HDDs in the internal bays in a RAID 0 setup. i have the ATI Radeon HD 5870 driving two 30 inch monitors and in the other pci-e slots i have an ATTO R680 driving an external RAID6 array and a CalDigit USB3.0 / eSata 6Gb card.

i have seen a dramatic uptick in kernal panics since i upgraded to 10.8. like you i have been skeptical about the stability of the drivers for these cards in 10.8.x but have not had time to investigate

in my experience with the 10.8.2 upgrade i got through the final part of the installation process both times and was mid way through the final reboot into 10.8.2 that the screen to NOYBUS's post appeared on my machine (after the apple sign appeared on the light grey screen but before the login screen). any ideas what could be causing it?

I guess it`s a pure Mac Pro <> Graphic Driver Problem. So far I can only read that the newer ATI Graphic Cards are affected. Running (again) under 10.8.1 all is fine - thanks to CCC Software - but right now I found no way to upgrade to 10.8.2 with my configuration. Here again from my posting: https://discussions.apple.com/message/19640392#19640392%2319640392%2319640392

Mac Pro 2009  2x 2.66 GhZ Quad-Core

96 GB RAM - 3x 16GB + 3x 16GB

ATI RADEON HD5870 1GB

Apple RAID Card installed (with 4 drives raid 5 attached)

Apple Fibre Channel Card installed (2x 4GB Fiberchannel)

Monitor NEC PA301W

Booting from a Crucial M$ 512MB SSD

Using recovery mode I was able to restore the 10.8.1 backup from just before I upgraded to 10.8.2.

Any idea how it is possible to update then to 10.8.2 ? If somebody finds an answer, please post. Or do we all have to wait for apple 10.8.3 something? Can`t believe that situation, as I never had such problems since years with an upgrade.

I got a notification that worries me a bit:  "Updates Available.  Your computer will restart to complete these updates."  When I click on the notification it takes me to the updates tab of the app store, and the 10.8.2 update is NOT showing.  (The only update visible show is the XCode v 4.5 update.)  This is making me think it automatically installed 10.8.2 again and is waiting for a restart.  Is that possible?

• Grant Bennet-Alder Level 9 Level 9 (52,870 points)

When it is "Waiting for a Restart" there is always a window still open on-screen to nag you.

I wonder then if Apple got smart and stopped offering the 10.8.2 update to Mac Pro machines?  I've seen other reports of people not able to see the update in the update center (i.e. when they should) so it could be that as well.

Here is a thread that suggests it might be related to > 64GB of RAM:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322919?tstart=0

Anyone having this problem running with 64GB or less?

Previous 1 2 Next