Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 6 causing wifi to NOT pass data

This iOS 6 wifi problem is affecting at least the iPhone 4, 4s, and iPad 3rd gen... The wifi appears to stay on, however, no data passes... If you turn your wifi off, wait a sec or two, turn it back on, the problem appears to be resolved until you have passed a set amount of data... Once that threshold is reached, the wifi stops passing again... It will stay that way until you turn the wifi off and back on or reboot the phone or just by letting it sit untouched long enough for the wifi to turn itself off... You'll know when you pick it up and hit a button... The 3G/4g indicator switches back to wifi... It all works again until the threshold is reached... This is very weird... If you use speed test.net app and run it two or three times, it will pass enough data to shut the wifi down... You can even watch any streaming video (3-5 mins) of something that pulls a lot of data other than browsing safari of mail downloads... It's very easy to recreate the issue, we just need a resolution very fast...

C'mon Apple....!!!

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 11:11 PM

32 replies

Sep 20, 2012 8:11 PM in response to Semaj2k3

I am having similar problem. iPad 3 connected fine to my work WiFi (Cisco Aironet), upgraded to iOS6 and my iPad still connects to the WiFi fine but won't pass any data. I can ping my iPad from the network so it is connected OK. I set up my iPhone 4 as a wireless hotspot and the iPad can connect and pass data through that WiFi fine so the issue seems to be with iOS6 communicating with my access point. Still working on that.

Sep 21, 2012 1:56 AM in response to Semaj2k3

I just noticed this issue this morning after installing iOS6 on my iPhone 4 last night. This is extremely annoying as my wifi hub is fine and all my other devices are working well. Has anyone found a work-around for this issue yet? My app updates keep freezing when they hit this wifi data threshold you mention. Massively frustrating.

Sep 23, 2012 10:09 AM in response to Semaj2k3

UPDATE!

For those of you still suffering this issue, I have resolved it (at least for my wife and I - we were both having the same issue).

My router encryption was set to WPA (better) and when I changed it to WEP the issue resolved itself. I believe the higher grade of encryption is the cause of the intermittent connections.

Sep 24, 2012 10:09 PM in response to Semaj2k3

Apple - Fix this!!!!!!

Apple, THIS IS WHERE YOU NEED TO LOOK on iOS 6 regarding "WIFI Lockout"!!!!!!

When this happens (WIFI freezes up aka "WIFI Lockout") – you can not get on internet while using WIFI!!!!!

You could be in the middle of surfing or using any app that makes data calls based on DNS and suddenly you can go no where or do nothing!

Yea sure, you can restart the WIFI connection, but WHO wants to CONTINUALLY do that?????

Apple (or any curious iOS 6 user that wants to see my point), when this happens open up a browser before you reset, disconnect/reconnect WIFI ( I tried both safari and chrome ) and type type 74.125.227.144 (google) and then “go”. A google search page will come up and you will be able to execute a search. (of course any link you click on will not work as it is dependant on DNS resolution)

Non DNS traffic works so the issue is not the WIFI connection to the access point!

APPLE, FOCUS ON FIXING THIS DNS DATA ISSUE AND YOU WILL GET MANY PEOPLE OFF YOU BACK!!!!

I KNOW THIS IS NOT ALL OF THE PROBLEMS WITH iOS 6, BUT THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM NOT BEING ABLE TO SURF OR GET DATA THE iOS 6 DEVICE IS REQUESTING!!!!!

Sep 24, 2012 10:47 PM in response to Island Man JC

There seems to be an issue with AES encryption in iOS 6 for some devices. I had this both on my iPhone 4 and ipad3. I have seen in another thread a user report that he had someone from apple acknowledge the software bug on a support call and they are working on a fix, however I am extremely disappointed in the lack of communication from apple on this problem.

What I found in 4 days of testing everything on my local network is you can use WPA if you setup TKIP encryption instead of AES. So you do not need to tailback all the way to WEP or unsecured. Your router may allow for WPA2 and TKIP (only) but my doesn't so I can't test that.

Good luck

Sep 24, 2012 10:52 PM in response to Semaj2k3

I've also been bitten with the wi-fi connection issues on my Verizon iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, and also my brand new MacBook air, and iPad 2! Fix this crap now or I'm done with Apple! This is going to cause me to use up my data because of not being able to use my home wifi. Does anyone know what's causing this or if there's a fix? I'm calling tomorrow to find out. Mine will get like 20meg down and all of a sudden drop to .40 and then up and down and drop all together and reconnect etc. Massive issues.

Sep 24, 2012 10:57 PM in response to rbhoopes

MacBook Air?? That doesn't sound like the issue in ios6. My guess is you may have your 802.11n network set to 40mhz versus 20. From what I've read apple doesn't have any devices that will run on the 40 setting. For your iOS devices look at my post above about switching to TKIP and see if that helps until they patch it.

Sep 24, 2012 11:00 PM in response to Semaj2k3

I seem to have found a solution:

Go to your wi-fi settings and have your device forget the network. Then, in the wi-fi settings choose, "Other" as the network to connect. When prompted, enter the SSID and password for the network.

I did this last night, and my wi-fi connection to my home network has worked ever since. I don't know why manually connecting and entering the SSID worked, but I assume it's a bug in the OS.

Anyway, it worked for me.

iOS 6 causing wifi to NOT pass data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.