Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ios 6 "email server not responding"

I have updated both my iphone (4) and iPad (3) to iOS6, and now one of my email accounts - the same one on both devices, and - oddly enough - NOT my gmail account - has stopped being able to connect to server. I have deleted and re-added, checked and triple-checked the settings, but no love. It is a good thing I can pull it up on my husband's computer, as it is my main email address.

I found a plethora of reports online of gmail account connectivity going tits-up, but none for generically Linux-hosted sendmail-based accounts.

Please tell me this is being looked into! Are there any fixes or workarounds yet?

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 12:10 AM

12 replies

Sep 20, 2012 2:35 AM in response to plbs76

Update: For me, I could send emails but couldn't receive. I checked all incoming server settings and they all seemed fine. In the end I deleted the account, added it again and it now works fine. Have you checked in Advanced settings? My SSL was set to off, with password as authentication method and port 143.

Sep 20, 2012 2:53 AM in response to justkristin

Well I was having this problem as well. It might be some sort of server connectivity issues (maybe something broke on google or apple's side once the plug on iOS 6 was turned on). It started working automatically after a few minutes but during those blackout time the emails I sent were lost which is very very bad.

Sep 20, 2012 2:59 AM in response to sajat

Also this is not restricted to gmail. The time the email sent sound comes and the time it takes to actually receive the email on other side is kinda huge ever since iOS 6. I use my iPhone for work and now I don't know what got sent and what didn't since this morning. We are definitely living in a post Steve Jobs era.

Sep 27, 2012 12:49 PM in response to justkristin

Updated iphone and ipad to 6, and all works fine on iphone but ipad is getting this error message, I can send mail but not getting any just on ipad. Deleted account and the set up again, it worked for a day and now again the same problem. All the settings are exactly the same on both devices... Annoying.... Still no workaround....

Apr 16, 2013 5:38 PM in response to justkristin

I'm still having this issue on both my iPhone 5 and iPad 2. I've removed the accounts and re-added them to no avail. I've tried SSL on and off, I still get error messages. I get no such errors on Thunderbird on PC, but I also get errors in OSX's mail app.

It generally throws up this error message, but will still get the mail, so obviously the details are fine.

I just don't like being locked into a routine of dismissing error messages that seem to be there for no reason.

I'm using five or so POP3 accounts hosted on my Linux/Apache dedicated server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 16, 2014 2:51 PM in response to justkristin

I hope there is an actual solution. Deleting and re-adding accounts is not a solution. That's like telling someone with a flat tire to just go get a new car. This happens to me at least once a month, on my mac, macbook, ipad, and iphone. If I have to spend an afternoon every month re-adding all of my email accounts to every Apple device, that is a serious problem with their software. My iPad is often as useless as a Blackberry Playbook. My #1 biggest problem with Apple is their Mail app.

Ios 6 "email server not responding"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.