Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Aperture crash after upgrade to 3.4. Pls help !

My Aperture crash after upgrade to 3.4. Pls help!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 12:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 1:26 AM

Do you still have installation media (DVD)? Move Aperture to the Trash, then reinstall to your original version and upgrade again.

If you do not have installation media, because you bought from the App Store, move Aperture to the Trash and download again from the App Store.

Do you publish to Facebook? Then deleting the Aperture User Preferences probably will help, if reinstalling does not.

See the answers in this thread: Re: Aperture 3.4 is out...

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2012 1:26 AM in response to AlexGcs

Do you still have installation media (DVD)? Move Aperture to the Trash, then reinstall to your original version and upgrade again.

If you do not have installation media, because you bought from the App Store, move Aperture to the Trash and download again from the App Store.

Do you publish to Facebook? Then deleting the Aperture User Preferences probably will help, if reinstalling does not.

See the answers in this thread: Re: Aperture 3.4 is out...

Sep 20, 2012 4:31 PM in response to itayoga

The Preferences are in your User Library, Preferences folder:

The User Library is hidden by default. You can reveal it from the Finder's "GO" menu:

Finder > Go, then hold down the options ⌥ key, until the Library appears in the drop-down menu, select it and open the Library folder. Then go to the "Preferences" sub folder and remove the file

your Home Folder/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist.

Sep 21, 2012 8:53 AM in response to léonie

Removing the plist "fixed" my problems too.

Any idea what specifically in the plist is causing the problem?

Also - has anyone tried putting the plist back after updating the library? I'm reluctant to try, but I am equally reluctant to try to remember all of the settings I have accumulated over the past years...

Sep 21, 2012 9:40 AM in response to tadt

Removing the plist "fixed" my problems too.

Any idea what specifically in the plist is causing the problem?

That depends. I have not seen your crash log.

The problem is, that the current Aperture installer is buggy. Depending on the Aperture version you are upgrading from, some frameworks may not be installed correctly. The installer erraniously assumes they are already installed. That is why the suggested fix is to reinstall from an early version, so the installer is forced to install everything new.

Your plist contains your webaccounts, recent files, the layout of the Gui. If one of these settings prompts Aperture to use ine of the missing frameworks, it will crash. For most people here it is the Facebook setting. Removing the preferences makes Aperture forget that you have a Facebook account. If you add that account again, Aperture probably will crash again.

Reagrds

Léonie

Sep 21, 2012 10:05 AM in response to sigbertvonoxfeld

it's nesesary download the new version from the apple page and reinstall?

If you reinstall, remove the old version first, to force a complete reinstall. See my post here:

Re: Aperture 3.4 crashes when I try to import photos.

Removing the plist is only a temporary fix. It may start crashing again, if you set the preferences again that caused therouble.

My Aperture crash after upgrade to 3.4. Pls help !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.