Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I Factory Restore?

My 13" MBP arrived yesterday, but I made the mistake of on the first time start up menu, choosing to transfer data from my Mac to my Pro, thinking I'd be able to specifically select files, alas, having them all transfered.

I want to do a Factory Restore and start again, just to be sure (even thogh I can't even see the files on my Pro).

How do I do this?

I'm away I have to go to Disk Utilities and erase, but when I go there, the left hand Menu shows up:

500.11 GB APPLE HDD T..

Macintosh HD

SuperDriv (faded out)

----------------------------------------

disk1

Mac OS X Base System

Which of these do I erase? And by doing this, I'm only erasing any data I transfered, am I right, so it's as it would have been if I'd started it up without transfering data.

Then do I re-instal OS X Mountain Lion?

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 1:10 AM

21 replies

Sep 20, 2012 1:58 AM in response to lpardo

You'll have to follow these steps:

1. Boot into your Recovery Partition by holding down the Command and R keys on startup.
  2. Use Disk Utility to erase the contents of the internal drive, selecting "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".
  3. Reinstall Mountain Lion via Internet (don't try this wirelessly - Ethernet will be faster)
  4. Now you'll have a semi-virgin system. You will have to redownload the iLife apps from the App Store.

I'm not sure why you can't see the files on your Mac Pro - I'm assuming that you used Migration Assistant to migrate your data in the first place? If you want to just cherry pick certain files to bring over to your new MBP, just turn on Sharing in System Preferences.

Clinton

Sep 20, 2012 2:03 AM in response to lpardo

Just follow the directions I gave you, that's all you have to do. When OS X is reinstalled, do this to recover the iLife Apps:

f you erase install OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion on a new Mac that shipped with OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion installed, you can download iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand from the Mac App Store.

1. After installation, start (up) from OS X.
  2. Double-click the App Store icon in the dock.
  3. Enter your Apple ID and password.
  4. Click Purchases.
  5. If you haven't previously accepted your bundled iLife applications within the Mac App Store, you should see your iLife applications appear in the Accept portion of the screen. Click Accept.
  6. You may be asked for your Apple ID and password once again. Your iLife applications now move to the Purchased section. These applications are part of the software that came with your Lion based computer. Your account will not be charged for them. Click Install to complete installation of your applications.

How do I Factory Restore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.