Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I increase RAID-1

Hi,

I have an 2008 XServe with RAID card configured with RAID-1. There were 2 1TB drives. I exchanged one with a 2TB drive and made it a spare. Now the RAID 1 is online again and I exchanged the other one with a 2TB drive, too but did not make it spare yet.

What do I have to do now so that I can use the full 2TB for the RAID 1? Because the first 2TB is now just using 1TB of course.

Best would be I can do it without taking the server out of service like expanding the one 2TB drive which is just using 1TB to it's full 2TB and then let it mirroring to the other 2TB drive.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 2:49 AM

4 replies

Sep 23, 2012 10:38 AM in response to TSB-HD

I'm sorry, but is not possible do that in this way.

On RAID the disks MUST have the SAME size, same RPM and so on…

So, the best way to expand your R1V1, is to buy another 2TB HD identical at the one that you have already added to your RAID, and…

backup all the data to an external HD, use carbon copy cloner or a similar software to preserve ACL and/or permissions on file/folder

replace the old 1TB HD with the new one

reinitialize the RAID

restore your data from backup

Maybe is possible to insert the new disk and expand the R1V1, but I've never tryed this way

I hope of having resolved your problem (sorry for my bad english)

Sep 24, 2012 2:54 AM in response to Cesare Cerutti

Thank you Cesare,

maybe I described it a little bit bad. So I already exchanged all three disc bays of the xServe with new 2TB drives.

Bay 1+2 have been the RAID 1 and BAY 3 is for Backup.

First I exchanged bay 3, to have a bigger backup disk (was 1TB, now 2TB)

Then I exchanged bay 2, made is a spare and the hardware RAID made it a mirror of bay 1, but of course, bay 1 is just 1 TB, now bay 2 shows just 1 TB, but it is 2 TB.

Then I exchanged bay 1 also with a 2TB drive.

My idea was now to increase the partition of bay 2 from 1TB to 2TB and then mirror it to bay 1, otherwise bay 1 would be 1 TB, too. But I have no clue how to do it. Maybe i can disconnect bay 2 from the RAID without dataloss? Deleting the RAID would delet my data and I have to bring back my backup to it, this means server is unavailable at this time.

I am now thinking of cloning bay 2 onto Non RAID disk in bay 2, deleting bay 2 and make a new RAID with existing bay 1. But I don't know if creating a new RAID means also loosing my data or if the pathes will be changed.

Expanding the disk didn't work, as you see in my post, or did you mean, first I have to add the 2nd disk to my RAID and then expanding it with raidutil?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 24, 2012 9:07 AM in response to TSB-HD

Hi TSB-HD

did you mean, first I have to add the 2nd disk to my RAID and then expanding it with raidutil?

I am now thinking of cloning bay 2 onto Non RAID disk in bay 2, deleting bay 2 and make a new RAID with existing bay 1. But I don't know if creating a new RAID means also loosing my data or if the pathes will be changed.

As I said in my post, I've never tryed those solution, you can try (you have the the backup, so you can't loose data).

But I think that the flollowing solution was the safest.

Clone your actual data from your RAID to BAY 3, rebuild your actual share point on Bay 3 (use same names), you have the time to rebuild the RAID from scratch and, at last reverse the process.

Probably is the most time expensive way for the server, not for client (only the time to deactivate "old" share point and activate the "new" one), but surely you can't loose data in this way.

I can see some little trouble only if your share point must be up 24 hours every day without any interruption, but I think that some minutes of downtime would not have to be a great trouble

(I hope you haven't a billon of share point on your server 😁)

C

How can I increase RAID-1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.