Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting music by "Album by Artist / Year" on iPod touch (3rd gen.)

Hello there,

In my music library, I have plenty of discographies per artist (eg. Bob Dylan's, Coldplay's etc...), and am finding a bit of a pain to sort it the way I want it on my iPod.

I've synced my new iPad with iTunes and copied all the music across, and when I look through the music on the iPad and select an artist, each of their albums are ordered by the year they were released in (and this happened automatically). I find this a much better way of sorting music to how I did it previously (i.e. each album ordered alphabetically).

Now, my question: How the heck do I get my iPod touch to do this?

On iTunes, I figured out you can sort the iTunes library in this way by selecting an artist in grid view, then clicking "Album by Title" above the column with album artwork and changing it to "Album by Artist / Year", however this only works for that specific artist's albums - to get your iTunes library to sort all albums this way you seemingly have to do this for each artist. Is there any way to make my whole library sort music this way without having to do that?

Essentially, how can I get my iPod to sort music the way my iPad does?

Thanks.

iPod touch, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 6:16 AM

1 reply

Sorting music by "Album by Artist / Year" on iPod touch (3rd gen.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.