Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i downgrade my ios 6 to 5.1.1 of my iphone ?

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 7:16 AM

40 replies

Sep 20, 2012 9:25 AM in response to Ing Eduardo calderon

Kalivett is correct. If you google 'ios 5.1.1 firmware download' you will find the firmware download. What you do to downgrade is as follows:

1: Download the firmware

2: Once the firmware is downloaded put it in a folder where you can find it later

3: Open Itunes

4: Its best to put the device into DFU mode. To do this: Hold the home and sleep/wake button for 10 seconds, after 10 seconds let go of ONLY the sleep/wake button and continue to hold down to home button for 10 more seconds. Once done the screen should stay black and itunes should recognize it as in recovery mode.

5: Connect your iOS device

6: Hold the 'shift' button on the keyboard and click restore. A window will pop up asking you to locate the restore file you want to use. This is where you'll want to find your 'iOS firmware' download you put away for later.

7: Click on your 'iOS firmware' download and itunes will ask to retore with that file, click yes or continue and iTunes will restore your device to the firmware version you asked it to.

8: once restored you are good to go and you can eithier use your backup from the cloud or the computer.

Hope this helps you guys out!

Sep 20, 2012 10:43 AM in response to Iain L 1

I am not entirely sure if that fix will work with the 4S actually, I have only attempted that fix on the iPad 2. I would assume that it would work but we all know what assuming does. If you do try it I would recommend creating a separate backup on the computer if possible or select a later backup of icloud and attempt to try the fix. But unfortunately i am not sure if it will or will not work on the 4S or the new iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.