Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difficulties with Apple Maps

I have crafted a list of problems or lack of services that Apple Maps has presented thus far. If anybody has found solutions to these, I would be appreciative of any help. I have been extremely unhappy with Apple Maps; Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave to think that Apple would release such an unpolished service. I have been a loyal Apple customer for quite some time, but Apple's willingness to release such a horrible service makes me question whether or not it is time to consider something else.

Difficulties experienced thus far:

1. As many people have mentioned, locations of businesses and places of interest, if they exist at all, are often not in the right place. I just took my iPhone to Richmond, VA and tried to use it to find a (popular) restaurant that I wanted to try for lunch. After taking me to a deserted looking industrial park, I had to utilize the Google maps web application which took me quickly and without difficulty to the correct location.

2. In Google Maps, traffic information was displayed with green meaning traffic was going smoothly, yellow meant it was slightly slower, red was congested, and red/black was not moving. In Apple Maps, the sparse traffic information that is available only shows red tick marks in the approximate area where traffic is congested. The problems with this are the fact that unless I live in San Francisco or New York, traffic information really does me no good because it only shows very congested traffic. In the medium-sized city in which I live, I benefit more from a multi-color traffic representation. This is a HUGE step back for me.

3. As I was heading home, the directions became quite confused when I came upon a layered intersection.

4. One must type in EXACTLY what they are looking for in many occasions to find a search. Try searching for "Columbia sc" which in Google maps will take you to, imagine this: Columbia, South Carolina. Apple maps will take you on a nice journey to Santiago De Cali in Columbia, the country.

5. Satellite views seem to be a bit cloudy in some locations. I don't mean blurry, I mean actually cloudy.

These constraints make Apple Maps inadequate for my daily use. I rely heavily upon maps, business data, and traffic information for my job and Apple Maps completely misses the mark in terms of nearly everything in my opinion. I hope Apple Maps improved vastly upon this, and does so in the VERY near future. I would love to hear if others have found ways to utilize Apple Maps more effectively than what I have been able to accomplish.

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 7:08 AM

1 reply

Difficulties with Apple Maps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.