Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i cannot use the mail app anymore.

after the security update, i'm using snow leopard 10.6.8. it says my version 4.5 (1084/1085) can't be used in my version of OS X (10.6.8)User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 7:34 AM

23 replies

Sep 20, 2012 2:26 PM in response to ianh0

As Apple clearly allows to move the mail app into a different place, it is not a valid option to make security updates that expect it, where it was installed originally. I have set up different folders for apps, i.e. office, games, net, tools etc... and dropped the applications there. So my mail.app is located in the subfolder "net". This did work flawlessly since 2009 now. All of the sudden mail.app does not work anymore since yesterday.

BTW mail is not the only app that gets fu**ed up by the update. I found 2 other programs but could recover them from my time maschine backups yesterday.

Moving all apps to the default folder and download gigs of data IS NOT AN OPTION. If Apple does not want me to use their mail client, there are other options. At least until they fix this bug and provide a working update...

Cheers, Mike

I am with 10.6.8 because 10.7.x was unstable windows like bull**it.

I did not try 10.8 yet but from what I read I am not too optimistic.

Sep 20, 2012 4:24 PM in response to LGrass

Well I just spent a couple of hours restoring my whole system to how it was this morning, before the infamous Update. Thank God for Time Machine backups, that's all I can say!

I know it hasn't really cured the problem but I haven't time to experiment at the moment.

All I know is I'm steering WELL CLEAR of the latest update until I'm reassured it won't mess up my system!

Come on Apple - don't bully us into upgrading to Mountain Lion by pulling dirty tricks like that again :–(

i cannot use the mail app anymore.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.