Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 6 on iPhone 4: earbud mic sensitivity

Ever since upgrading, using the apple earbuds with built in mic has been horrible. The mic sensitivity seems to be extremely high. I can hear myself easier than I can hear the other person and they say it sounds like a construction zone whenever I am doing anything (closing a door, working at my desk, etc.)

Anyone else having issues with this? Anyone have a fix?

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 8:14 AM

24 replies

Sep 25, 2012 10:00 AM in response to Elkanah

I'm having this same issue as well with my iPhone 4. I even tried restoring and reloading iOS 6 again. It didn't work. I also tried a different pair of earbuds, as well an entirely different kind of earphones with mic (Applie compatible). It still didn't help. I just got an iPhone 5 and it has the same problem but not as severe. Apple must have screwed something up with the update.

Oct 14, 2012 6:43 PM in response to lMookl

That technique works for me. In the process, I may have also discovered that this only seems to happen when I take the call without the headset and then put the headset in.

Once the problem is happening, switching to speaker and back fixed it for me.

Thanks for that |Mook|, I really needed that fix. I use my headset for almost all my calls.

Nov 8, 2012 7:36 PM in response to Elkanah

Relieved to hear this is a common problem. Same - everyone I talk to complains that they can hear every little background amplified and it's deafening to them.

My imperfect fix is to mute the phone while they are talking and unmute only to speak. The mic seems to be a litlte better when I'm talking, better at amplifying my voice more than background sounds so the background is less disturbing.

I will try the speaker trick, however, and I will call Apple to complain, if they are not aware of this problem!

iOS 6 on iPhone 4: earbud mic sensitivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.