Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Menu bar icons continually refreshing

Every 15 seconds or so, all of the items on the right side of menu bar - including the clock, but excluding the Notification Center icon - disappear and rebuild themselves. This started yesterday when I upgraded to OS X 10.8.2. I've removed all of the third party apps from the menu bar and it is still happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Troy

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 9:18 AM

13 replies

Sep 20, 2012 2:02 PM in response to troyswanson

Now, the desktop flashes gray for a fraction of a second, every ~5 seconds.

This flashing resets a lot of UI stuff. For instance, if you have the dock open and the screen flashes, the dock disappears, and then reanimates back up again. Also, if you minimize something, the window disappears (without the animation), but then after the flashing happens, the window reopens with a scale-from-the-middle animation effect.

These bugs have basically rendered my computer useless. All of this started happening prior to the Mountain Lion 10.8.2 update.

Any ideas on how to get a handle on this would be great.

Sep 20, 2012 2:33 PM in response to troyswanson

Most apps seem largely unaffected. Opening a browse dialog for a file attachment in Mail works as expected. After some more testing, I discovered the issues with the following UI workflows:

Mission Control - The Mission Control overlay disappears and goes back to standard desktop view, however, the menu bar disappears completely. Opening up Mission Control and selecting an element before the next flash happens resets the menu bar back to its rightful place.

Launchpad - The Launchpad overlay simply disappears.

Notification Center - Notificaton Center just disappears, also.

Command+Tab Switcher - The switcher overlay disappears and the application that you had tabbed to does not become the active app.

Curiously, the actual menus in the menu bar (File, Edit, etc.) work as expected even through the flashes and the menu bar icon resets.

Sep 20, 2012 2:55 PM in response to troyswanson

I just installed the Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Combo package and it seems to have fixed that UI stuff. Everything still feels slower, but that might just be a psychological thing.

Here's the link for anyone who might be experiencing this issue: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1581

Please note that I still am not aware of the root cause of the original problems, so I have no advice on how to avoid this issue in the first place.

Sep 20, 2012 3:52 PM in response to Nick LDN

Hey Nick,

No, a different user seems to be working without any problems; However, I just tried using the Guest account, since this computer uses an LDAP server to validate usernames and passwords.

Something is certainly causing a crash, though. New records are being written in Console every time it crashes (which is like every 9 seconds or so), and I can force a crash by opening Spotlight.

Here is a link to the logs that Console generates: http://pastebin.com/qwTCeFt5

And here's a link to the "saved crash report": http://pastebin.com/SU1atABL

I have no idea how helpful that is, but it's all I have for now.

Aug 21, 2013 8:24 AM in response to troyswanson

disable the spotlght icon. the service will still run in the background. you're just hidng the icon.

Hide the Spotlight Menu Icon in OS X

To reemphasize, this does not disable Spotlight or mds, it only hides the icon from the menubar.

Launch the Terminal from /Applications/Utilities/ and type the following command string exactly:

sudo chmod 600 /System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Search

Hit return, and then you will need to kill a process called “SystemUIServer” to refresh the menubar in OS X and have the change take effect:

killall SystemUIServer

Menu bar icons continually refreshing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.