Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

since update I can not send pitures via outlook or apple mail please help

Since I downloaded the Mountain Lion software update and the iphoto and aperture updates I can now no longer select a picture to send via email my default email client is outlook but I changed this to apple mail to see if that would work but no joy please help as I need to send pictures on a regular basis.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 9:57 AM

23 replies

Sep 20, 2012 10:26 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie I tried opening the post from Rishi but cant open it could you please explain (in simple terms) what I need to do regarding patch the apple script inside the application a step by step guide would be helpful my aperture librart is on an external hard drive by the way dont know if that makes any difference thanks for any help you can give

Sep 20, 2012 10:33 AM in response to higueron

Here is the post again:

Rishi Garrod

I have found it. It seems that in Lion we had to convert the filename from Mac native to Posix format, in mountain lion this is no longer necessary. If you want to modify the script here are the instructions:

Finder->Applications. Right click on Aperture and choose "Open package contents"

Contents->Plugins. Open "Microsoft Outlook.applescript" (with the applescript editor)

You should see the following 3 lines:

-- convert the image path from UNIX to Mac

set this_imagefile_path to (POSIX file this_imagefile) as string

make new attachment at new_message with properties {file:(this_imagefile_path)}

these should be replaced with this line:

make new attachment at new_message with properties {file:(this_imagefile)}

You are not allow to directly edit this file so save a duplicate somewhere.

Rename the original script file.

Copy the modified file to the Contents->Plugins folder of the package. It has to be called "Microsoft Outlook.applescript"

You will probably be asked for your password a number of times.

Sep 20, 2012 10:46 AM in response to léonie

Thanks I had seen that mail but I am afraid I am not confidenr enough to start messing about with apple scripts and tat fix was before the new update and at that time I was able to solve the problem by using apple mail instead of outlook but since the update I am unable to send the pictures from either of the mail clients

Sep 20, 2012 11:01 AM in response to higueron

What exacly happens, when you try to send email from Aperture? What is the error message you get?

For me it works just fine.

As a work-around: you can use the Media Browser in Mail to access your Aperture Library:

User uploaded file

That will open a Browser to your Aperture Library, and you can drag your images from there directly into your mail.

You need to ensure, that your Aperture Library has preview images to share with the Media Browser. Yu set this in the "Preview" tab of the Aperture Preferences.

Regards

Léonie

Sep 21, 2012 3:52 AM in response to higueron

Just to let you guys know I have exactly the same problem on my macbook pro as I have on my imac since the upgrade cant send to outlook or apple mail the little circle thing comes up says exporting for a fraction of a second but mail does not open tried it on iphoto and aperture same thing exporting but have no idea where it is exporting to definately not to either outlook or apple mail

Sep 22, 2012 12:59 AM in response to higueron

I guess you guys have run out of ideas I will give you one last piece of info in case there is any other sugestions that you can make

When I send the picture to email from share in Aperture the Outlook icon bounces but when I open outlook the new mail window is not open as usually happens and there is no sign of the file I sent to it

It looks like a trip to the Apple store is needed unfortunately it is an 80 mile round trip unless you can think of anything else I can try

Thanks for trying........John

Sep 29, 2012 4:12 AM in response to higueron

I am afraid this one is more serious. Because of the success of the Mac Apple has decided it is necessary to increase the security around its products. In order for applications to be in the App Store they have to implement "sandboxing". For us this means Aperture prepares the files we want to email and places them in a safe place where no one else can get to them (excepts Apples own trusted products like Mail) so they cannot be passed to Outlook which does not have access to the sandbox.

I am no AppleScript expert myself but I will attempt to get the script to first copy the files to a location Outlook can access but I am not even sure this will help.

Cheers

Rishi

since update I can not send pitures via outlook or apple mail please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.