Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how change user in Terminal

I installed Parallls for Mac and run success windows vista, but problem with Ubuntu,... well inTerminal I think vaio-pc user is for vista ,.. how go to mac username?

Last login: Thu Sep 20 21:09:58 on console

vaio-pc:~ new$ unity -- reset

-bash: unity: command not found

vaio-pc:~ new$ unity --reset

-bash: unity: command not found

vaio-pc:~ new$

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 11:17 AM

13 replies

Sep 20, 2012 11:42 AM in response to lsepcyeu

In your original post, it looks like you are trying to run a command, but bash isn't finding it in your current path, so if that is the only problem, then use a complete path name (e.g. /usr/bin/unity if unity is in /usr/bin). If you also need to run the command as administrator, you could use sudo to run the command - you'll be prompted for an administrator password.

Apr 22, 2013 2:48 PM in response to lsepcyeu

Hi,

I am not very familiar with Unity (but I am an Ubuntu user). If you are trying to run a command that requires administrator priveliges (it might give a warning that the username is not listed in the sudoers file), you will need to login with a admin or root (be careful with the root account) or use sudo (which is safer). When using sudo, there is a sudo password. I am not familiar with Vista, so I don't know whether the sudo password is a root password or something else. Also, I think that you need to type the Unity reset command with one dash, so it will look like

unity -reset
. Hope this helps!

May 7, 2013 2:34 AM in response to lsepcyeu

I'm pretty familiar with Ubuntu and with Unity, as that is my favorite Ubuntu GUI.. With any UNIX based OS's, as well as anyother OS, logging into ur GUI with root is an extremely bad idea, and therefore should never be done. With that said, Ubuntu doesn't even come with a passwd for root, not a set one anyways. They use a random passwd generator type deal, or something of that nature, for any daemons needing root access.. You first account is an admin account by default, what this does is gives you power to use sudo command, example: sudo apt-get update -which checks repos and reports if an update is present.

i believe you're going to want to use the command, sudo su -which will allow you to become root using your own passwd, one drawback is that after executing to command u needed root for, u will have to type exit to revert back to a regular user. Most admins discourage the use of sudo su in favor of typing sudo even if it's a string of commands like; sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade ... i'd much rather use sudo su , then type apt-get update && apt-get upgrade .. it's less of a hastle i feel..

i just confirmed that; unity --reset does work in root. probably better if first using; sudo su .. in confirming this i made the mistake of doing this from a different linux os through a chroot to Ubuntu12.10. since i am using compiz in this distro, even though it was through a chroot, it actually tried to start unity on my os and now one of my screens is stuck on stupid... oh well, no biggy, you live, you learn.. i may just have to reboot or readjust my compiz setting and then reboot... on a brighter note, Hopefully it fixed the unity problems i was having in the 12.10 i had chrooted into, when i say problems i mean major problems.. I had not even thought of running unity --reset, so thanks for that.. I don't know what Ubuntu you are using but i think there were some switches in the way you reset compiz and unity, in that 12.04's reset commands are different than 12.10's.. perhaps if you have 12.04 u should check other forums and make sure you are getting commands from that specific release.. also, as in most linux distros, if you type info you get the man pages, if you type info unity - you get a page giving you a description of the command as well as listing all the options..

some distros won't allow sudo privledges by default and u have to change this in the sudoers file, which u can't safely do by normal means, so they have a command which is, sudo visudo. obviously u must be root, which is why ubuntu gives you sudo rights.. But on my iphone, i don't have sudo rights and i cant sudo visudo through root because i don't use vi, i dont like vi and dont wanna learn it so i use this command to bypass vi, export EDITOR=nano; visudo -however in order to exit nano you need to hold control and type x, my bluetooth keyboard will not let me do this for some reason. no idea why. Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Anyways, back on subject, two dashes does work, you just need to sudo su to get root in the command line and then type unity --reset .. also, i'm pretty sure any user name needs to be all lowercase letters, i believe a read that somewhere. maybe sudo is misinterpreting those uppercase letters as an option or something of that nature...

hope this helps you and anyone else in some way..

ArchLinux=ElegantSimplicityBrutalPower

how change user in Terminal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.