Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OK...the fix for 3.4 problems here...

Hi All,

Short version: Fix is to delete Aperture and reinstall. Everything now works fine. If you have 3.0 or later DVD it no longer needs a serial number.

Background story...

OK, this was not Apple's finest day for an install...messy and costly downtime.

I went through te same as others:

1) crashed every time,

2) then deleted the Aperture plist to get it to run but no FB and other anomalies

3) did full install and update we are now apparently good to go.

ALSO, Apple seems to have done away with any serial number protection. I have a DVD media version of Aperture 3.0, and it has up to now required installation, entering the Aperture 3 UPGRADE SN, then my Aperture 2 SN, then I could run Software update to get to the current version.

NOW...I deleted my problematic 3.4 installation. (simply deleted the App alone), ran the installer for 3.0 from the DVD and it did not ask for any serial numbers. I then ran Software update, selected 3.4 and everything (at least everything I care about, lol) now seems to be working.

Regards,

KJ Doyle

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 11:43 AM

9 replies

Sep 20, 2012 12:25 PM in response to Kevin J. Doyle

Worked PERFECTLY for me!! Used App Cleaner to remove old install. Then ran the setup using my A3 "upgrade" DVD. No request for any SN. Then ran Software Update and 3.4 installed perfectly.

An added benefit ... my Library performance is significantly improved over what I have been seeing over the past several months. Perhaps there were just too many "upgrades" along the way (Snow Leopard -> Lion -> Mt Lion, A3, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 etc ...).

Thanks!!

Ken

Sep 20, 2012 12:45 PM in response to Aye Es Oh

Same problem. But...just got it to work with the most INSANE thing I've ever had to do to fix a problem.

I tossed my old pre-App Store discs and serial(s) so I didn't have them to reinstall. So what I did was:

1] I found an old trial version of 3.1 and downloaded;

2] found a random pirated serial number online - not my serial number;

3] installed 3.1 with the pirated serial;

4] without opening 3.1, installed a DOWNLOADED (not App Store) 3.4 Update

Everything opens perfectly now. I don't know if updating from the App Store in step 4 would have worked, but I'm guessing it would have.

Nice job Aperture team! Good thing Steve isn't around to reem you guys!

Sep 20, 2012 12:47 PM in response to MinMan3

Hi Ken,

I am glad to hear you say yours is faster too...I thought it was just me, but Aperture is MUCH snappier and responsive now, I daresay twice as fast, and I did this on the oldest machine in the shop 2008 MBP 17. I figured I would do the upgrade on the least used machine in case of problems, and I am glad I did.

I have been at it for a hour or so now, and it is really fast, hooray!

Regards,

KJ Doyle

Sep 20, 2012 1:34 PM in response to Kevin J. Doyle

Trashing the Aperture application and then reinstalling a pre-3.4 version of Aperture worked for me. In my case I used a 3.1 trial version from the Apple website (since I didn't buy the original Aperture via the App Store). No need to enter the serial number, but I had to create a new photo library (since my library was upgraded to 3.4 upon yesterday's original attempt to upgrade to version 3.4). I then ran Software Update, which recognized that I needed to upgrade Aperture 3.1 to 3.4. Upgrade was successful.

I was able to set up my web export accounts, i.e., Flickr and Facebook, via Preferences, though I did this before the upgrade to 3.4 a few minutes ago. I closed the application, reopened it at the same time holding down the Option key, which allowed me to choose my original photo library from yesterday. So far so good, and no crash. Thank you, all, for your help!

Ivor

OK...the fix for 3.4 problems here...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.