Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Configurator- Waiting to Refresh iPads

After clicking Refresh on All Devices instead of just the one iPad I had hooked up to the time, the rest of the devices under Supervised Devices are waiting for connection. I don't want any of those iPads refreshed when I hook them up. Is there a way to cancel the refresh or waiting for connection that is happening? I've restarted my computer, closed the app, and even updated the app, but it's still going on.

Apple Configurator 1.1 then updated to 1.1.2 when trying to cancel.

Thanks for any help!

iPad 2, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 12:53 PM

6 replies

Sep 24, 2012 12:55 PM in response to EHOVEtech

I tested plugging in an iPad that was waiting to be connected and it didn't refresh. All settings and apps were as they were when I plugged it in, most importantly, DNS settings and connected Bluetooth devices. I even updated it to iOS 6 and installed some new apps and they didn't apply until I hit Apply. So I wouldn't worry about it. But I would test one before you do a whole cart of them. We do carts of 30 iPads per cart.

Oct 1, 2012 12:27 PM in response to bps101

Turn off in the Preferences, When a Supervised Device is Connected: Automatically Refresh. This is the first thing to make sure of before hooking them up at all. Or it WILL auto-refresh them.

I tested this on 3 carts of iPads, hooking up 30 at a time, and none of them auto-refreshed even though it said Waiting for Connection. I was able to select new apps that needed installed and install iOS 6 and none of the iPads lost their data or settings(Wifi settings, DNS, and Restrictions). The one thing to ABSOLUTELY check before you click Apply is to make sure you do not restore a back up or change the iPads name. Restoring a backup that says Multiple or a previous stock "image" of the iPad will erase certain settings and all saved data. There's an option for Don't Restore Backup. The first time I hooked them up the Backup setting was set to Multiple. Very bad things would've happened if I hadn't noticed that.

I hope this helps alleviate any problems you others are having. I kinda answered my own question but thanks for the interest.

We have an extra iPad for IT testing and I was able to test before I plugged in a cart. I suggest you do the same if possible.

EDIT: I would like to add these were all Supervised Devices. I have no idea the difference in what would happen if they hadn't been.

Apple Configurator- Waiting to Refresh iPads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.