Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3 fears about upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion

I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard installed. I would love to upgrade to mountain Lion, principally to make the most of all the extra gestures. (I have a magic trackpad).

But I am holding off the upgrade because I am worried about three of the bugs that are being reported by users on these boards:

1/ Time Capsule is seriously degraded in Mountain Lion - it takes much longer to back up data in ML as opposed to Snow Leopard.

2/ WIFI errors and dropouts are much more likely in Mountain Lion, especially from sleep.

3/ Battery Life -- even with the 10.8.2 update, Mountain Lion is much more power hungry than Snow Leopard. My battery is two years old now, and gives me 4 hrs on a full charge. I can't afford for it to drop under that.

Are these three fears justified or should I just take the plunge? At the moment Snow Leopard works perfectly, but I do envy the extra gestures available in Mountain Lion.

thanks

Dominic

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 1:30 PM

1 reply

Sep 20, 2012 1:55 PM in response to scartacus

scartacus wrote:

Are these three fears justified or should I just take the plunge?

You should take the plunge. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 15 that was stuck on Snow Leopard because it was a work machine. I was finally able to upgrade it directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and it works fine. The only issue I had was my work-mandated antivirus, Symantec Endpoint. Apparently the antivirus companies who stay on top of the latest zero-day threats to your Mac had no idea Apple had released a new operating sytem or had even gone to a 64-bit architecture. Review what 3rd party softwrae you have installed and make sure it is compatible. There is a lot of software from 2002 that works fine in Snow Leopard that won't work in Mountain Lion.

3 fears about upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.