Skip navigation

3 fears about upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion

127 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 20, 2012 1:55 PM by etresoft RSS
scartacus Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 20, 2012 1:30 PM

I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard installed. I would love to upgrade to mountain Lion, principally to make the most of all the extra gestures. (I have a magic trackpad).

But I am holding off the upgrade because I am worried about three of the bugs that are being reported by users on these boards:

1/ Time Capsule is seriously degraded in Mountain Lion - it takes much longer to back up data in ML as opposed to Snow Leopard.

2/ WIFI errors and dropouts are much more likely in Mountain Lion, especially from sleep.

3/ Battery Life -- even with the 10.8.2 update,  Mountain Lion is much more power hungry than Snow Leopard. My battery is two years old now, and gives me 4 hrs on a full charge. I can't afford for it to drop under that.

Are these three fears justified or should I just take the plunge? At the moment Snow Leopard works perfectly, but I do envy the extra gestures available in Mountain Lion.

thanks

Dominic

• etresoft Level 7 Level 7 (23,890 points)

scartacus wrote:

Are these three fears justified or should I just take the plunge?

You should take the plunge. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 15 that was stuck on Snow Leopard because it was a work machine. I was finally able to upgrade it directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and it works fine. The only issue I had was my work-mandated antivirus, Symantec Endpoint. Apparently the antivirus companies who stay on top of the latest zero-day threats to your Mac had no idea Apple had released a new operating sytem or had even gone to a 64-bit architecture. Review what 3rd party softwrae you have installed and make sure it is compatible. There is a lot of software from 2002 that works fine in Snow Leopard that won't work in Mountain Lion.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.