Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White spots popping up on my Retina Macbook Pro Display

Hi everyone,

My Macbook Pro with Retina display has no less than 6 bright white "hot spots" that are visible on the retina display when I have a bright or white window loaded. These are mostly on the bottom of the display, with 3 dots on the left hand side of the screen, a line in the center, and a blob towards the right.

I will most likely schedule an appointment with an Apple Genius soon but was curious if other owners have experienced this and what outcomes Apple has provided to the problem. I really can't be without the machine for long.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 1:53 PM

8 replies

Mar 5, 2013 11:11 AM in response to Lon Seidman

These seems to be "mura" display issues. From the forums this mainly seems to be happening on the Samsung displays.

I have 2 muras on my screen, and mine is a Samsung as well.

I am concerned about taking this to the Apple Store; because they might be replacing it with a LG display that will most likely have image retention issues.

I will probably wait to get it fixed, untill 1 month before my apple care expires or they fix the LG display issue or they use a panel that has not "major" defects.

Mar 5, 2013 11:41 PM in response to pcpu

Lon,

What you are describing seems like backlight hotspots. Is that your impression?

What kpsmorokothis showing is some sort of LCD film defect.

Both of those are covered under Apple warranty and should be returned.

"Mura" issues is a very broad and generic term describing all kinds of image defects related to display manufacturing. Both Samsung and LG displays do come free of defects. You just may have been unlucky. My suggestion is to take it back. They should be completely fine replacing the computer regardless of whether you have AppleCare or not.

Nov 29, 2013 10:57 PM in response to Lon Seidman

I had the same issue after about 10 months of having my MBP retina display. It was a bit of a hassle to fix as there is no apple store where I was living - although they did repair it without a problem. Then after about 4 months another white spot showed up on the screen. I have yet to get it fixed again but I am certainly glad I bought the apple care.

Not sure what is causing this but I hope apple has it figured out as I use my Mac for photo editing and it was be a pain when working on high res images.

White spots popping up on my Retina Macbook Pro Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.