Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot change restrictions on allowed content

My iphone 4S has music and podcasts greyed out to "clean" on allowed content (under restrictions). I haven't got parental restrictions on itunes itself and I haven't got parental restrictions on allowed content either but I cannot change it to "explicit"....can anyone help - what am I doing wrong or am I missing something?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 10:17 PM

I have the same problem. Did you ever get an answer?

17 replies

Dec 6, 2012 11:48 AM in response to Leishamaree

To change this, you need to first enable restrictions. Once you have set the passcode and restrictions is on, then go to the Allowed Content section. Select music and Podcasts and turn on Explicit (if that is what you want), then exit Restrictions. Go back into restrictions and turn it back off.

However, with restrictions off, it should not matter at all what is displayed there, since restrictions are not activated.

Dec 6, 2012 1:16 PM in response to Leishamaree

I'm guessing that you exited Settings like I recommended and then entered again? After doing that, you might need to do a reset on the phone. Hold the sleep/wake and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then release. After the phone restarts, see if that helps. I did not have any trouble doing this.

Couple of questions, do you have the phone connected to an Exchange server? If so, does the Exchange administrator configure the devices? Where are you located?

Dec 6, 2012 2:04 PM in response to Leishamaree

It is possible that they have configured that as part of the settings for use of the device on their network. You could always ask, however it does not mean it could be changed. The IT can make several changes to the devices access based on security settings for Exchange, including disabling the camera (as an example). Again, you can ask, however it does not mean it can be changed.

Dec 6, 2012 2:12 PM in response to andymorgan3

If the phone was configured using the iPhone configuration utility, it won't allow it no matter where they connect. Or if the company has a profile on the phone that contains the restrictions, that is for the device, as long as it is configured for the Exchange account. The only way to override it is to remove the Exchange account, if the device is not owned by the company, then make the changes. However, if you reconnect to the Exchange account, then it would change things back.

cannot change restrictions on allowed content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.