Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do non-iPhone Messages Sync?

I'm running 10.8.2 on my Mac and iOS 6 on my iPhone and iPad. I have confirmed that all Messages apps are logged in with the same Apple ID. And, I've confirmed that my phone number is synced to all devices. When I receive messages from other iOS 6 and/or 10.8.2 users, everything syncs across devices. However, when I receive a text from someone that's not using an iPhone, it only goes to my iPhone and doesn't sync up across devices. Is this how it's supposed to work? Or, should all text messages go to all devices since I have my phone number associated with them?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 2:04 PM

Only messages sent as iMessages are delivered to all your iMessage-enabled devices, which means the sender must be using the Messages app on a Mac or iDevice.

If someone sends you a regular SMS/text from a non-Apple phone which is (of course) not iMessage-enabled, then it'll be just like the old days - they can only send the text to your phone number, and it'll only be delivered to your phone.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2012 2:04 PM in response to Gregory McBride

Only messages sent as iMessages are delivered to all your iMessage-enabled devices, which means the sender must be using the Messages app on a Mac or iDevice.

If someone sends you a regular SMS/text from a non-Apple phone which is (of course) not iMessage-enabled, then it'll be just like the old days - they can only send the text to your phone number, and it'll only be delivered to your phone.

Do non-iPhone Messages Sync?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.