Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firewire Port Failure Diagnosis?

I moved a number of harddrives around the desk. I realized when I finished that I had completely forgotten to power down the iMac and Firewire drives. When I got them where I wanted them I reconnected the Firewire 800 cable to oneexternal drive and then the Firewire 800 cable to the other drive in a daisy chain, like I've always had. My iMac refuses to ackowledge either Firewire 800 hard drive. The drives have power, I've re-switched the cabling and the ports around, but no success. I'm fairly good at running down broken cables, disconnected cables, etc..

My fear at this point, based on my testing, is that the Firewire 800 Port on the back of my iMac may have failed. I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.2, and I no longer am aware of how to diagnose an iMac Firewire 800 Port failure. We don't seem to have the Extended Apple Hardware Test in Mountain Lion, like we used to on our earlier Original disks. If that even would been of any use in this case.

How do I proceed???

Thanks 🙂

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Late 2007 24 inch 2.8 GHz; iMac 6GB

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 2:35 PM

Well, I'm still very interested in whether we have access to the Extended AHT in Mountain Lion. In the meantime though I thought about the situation and came up with one useful test. The external hard drives are multi- connection drives and so also offer USB2 ports. I hooked up the two external hard drives to the USB ports on the back of my iMac and the drives were fully recognized and accessible. I believe I now have a burned out Firewire 800 port on my iMac, due to my own mistake, Ouch. We live and we learn...

RM

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2012 2:35 PM in response to Radiation Mac

Well, I'm still very interested in whether we have access to the Extended AHT in Mountain Lion. In the meantime though I thought about the situation and came up with one useful test. The external hard drives are multi- connection drives and so also offer USB2 ports. I hooked up the two external hard drives to the USB ports on the back of my iMac and the drives were fully recognized and accessible. I believe I now have a burned out Firewire 800 port on my iMac, due to my own mistake, Ouch. We live and we learn...

RM

Firewire Port Failure Diagnosis?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.