Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad won't connect to Macbook - software issue, HELP!

I just bought an iPad but it won't connect to my Macbook - it's telling me I need a software update to 10.7. My current software is 10.5.8.

What can I do to fix this? I can only find 10.7.5 and my Macbook doesn't seem up for that 😟 I've had it about 5 years, does this mean it's too old? Wish I knew that before I bought an iPad.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 2:38 PM

10 replies

Sep 20, 2012 3:15 PM in response to HE_Robertson

Your Macbook has to be a late 2008 or newer for Lion:

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP629

So, if it is older than that, the highest you could go is Snow Leopard, which you'd have to order from Apple or see if an online retailer still carries it. The software you're looking for is contained in Lion or Mountain Lion, but not in Snow Leopard (all you get there is the app store to be able to buy/download those and apps).

Sep 20, 2012 4:16 PM in response to HE_Robertson

You need the builtin syncing capabilities and other features (iTunes and iCloud capabilities, etc) that are part of Lion (and Mountain Lion) in order to do that, so, unfortunately, those capabilities are not part of Leopard (or Snow Leopard).

If there is a way to copy files from your Macbook onto the iPad (possibly manually), you'd find it here:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/

But all is not lost: you may be able to set up and access an iCloud account from your Mac via a browser and may be able to get some info that way. Your iPad will have access to iCloud; you need to see if you can get to it from your Mac via icloud.com.

Sep 21, 2012 7:27 AM in response to babowa

How well does yours run with Lion?

It runs fine. I was happy with Snow Leopard but need Lion to use the current version of Xcode. I delayed updating because I heard so many complaints about Lion changes, but I liked it from the start.

Note that I had already updated the old MacBook 2,1 by maxing the RAM (4GB installed, 3GB recognized by OS X) and installing a faster disk drive (500GB 7200RPM). RAM and disk drives are ridiculously cheap so there is no excuse not to do this. The Apple Store replaced the entire topcase (includes the keyboard and trackpad) under some free service program due to chipping around the edges, so the old MacBook looks brand new.

The fact that a computer almost 6 years old works so well made me realize Apple's prices have some justification.

Sep 21, 2012 8:35 AM in response to HE_Robertson

You do have to call Apple and order/pay for Lion and they will email you a redemption code for the app store.

However, since you're on 10.5, you will need to buy and install Snow Leopard first - there is no way around that. You need to have it since it includes the 'app store' application which is the only way to access the app store so you can download Lion..... Snow Leopard is still available as a retail disk from various online resources. Install and then update to the latest version (10.6.8). After that, you can download/install Lion (after buying it from Apple) - Lion is only available as a download.

And, if you only have 2 GB RAM (or less), max out your RAM (check macsales.com, excellent vendor) - Lion is somewhat of a memory hog.

Sep 21, 2012 8:53 AM in response to babowa

Good point about needing Snow Leopard first.

HE_Robertson:The price of Snow Leopard from 3rd-party marketplaces like Amazon has shot through the roof since it is no longer listed on the Apple Store. But several posts on this forum state you can still purchase the Snow Leopard upgrade from Apple over the phone for the original $30 price.

iPad won't connect to Macbook - software issue, HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.