Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.8.2 ML and 2.1 OS X Server.app Update

Yeah! finally and hopefully they'll fix the SMB issues in 10.8.2 ML update...

Also just released today OS X Server.app 2.1

What's New in Version 2.1

The 2.1 update is recommended for all servers running OS X Server on Mountain Lion. This update includes general fixes that enhance stability, compatibility and security of your server. It includes specific fixes for:

• managing DHCP service from within the Server application

(NOW THIS IS GREAT that they put DHCP Server GUI back)
• iOS 6 device management support in Profile Manager
• using the Server application to create a large number of users or groups
• authenticating with Calendar Server when using an Active Directory account
• renewing certificates for use with the Apple Push Notification Service
• configuring DNS entries with second level domains and aliases
• migrating from Lion Server and Snow Leopard Server

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5497

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 2:50 PM

20 replies

Sep 21, 2012 2:15 AM in response to haykong

May be carefull: I've installed the Server.app update after updating ML from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2. After then, a dialog told me that the Server.app was replaced in the folder "Applications", the service was stopped and the service files were saved.

Starting the new Server.app let me gave no chance except to configure the server by ground with the configuration wizzard. Obviously after that, all the previous settings are lost.

Somebody else with this behavior? I encountered it with two 10.8.1 ML-servers (German-GUI), exactly the same way.

Thanks & Regards, Yann

Sep 21, 2012 3:00 AM in response to MaartenP

Hi MaartenP,

Good to know that I'm not the only one... I found nothing concerning this issue but read a couple of posts concerning the new server app. So it could be running.

Yes, my wizard finished after a couple of minutes, it maybe takes a few time to erase the configured services ;-\

Thanks, Yann

Message was edited by: apfelpom -- misspelled the name

Sep 21, 2012 3:30 AM in response to apfelpom

Same here 😠

I had to manually start services that were active before the update (DNS, Mail, Calendar etc.). My SSL certificate was invalid for some reason. Also the server won't access the Internet anymore, although DNS is active, and other client can resolve addresses via this server.

Everytime there is an update on the server side, you need to hold your breath for the concequences. Very frustrating Apple!

Edit: forgot to mention:

1. when starting the Server.app an error occurs while reading the "servermgr_jabber service".

2. I am using 10.8.1 (didn't upgrade yet).

3. Server resolves names as well, but cannot open webpages, or enter the App Store.app (message: Cannot connect to the App Store).

Sep 21, 2012 3:32 AM in response to haykong

Update:

I removed the server.app form my server and did a fresh install from the AppStore. The lay-out of the wizard was ok again. I walked trough the steps and the services turned up the way I left them before the update.

There must be something wrong in the replacement of the app during the update. The logs filled up with NIB files missing from Server.app.

Whish these update were less painful.

Sep 21, 2012 4:28 AM in response to haykong

I have the solution after this disaster...Happily i have a clone.

1- i add 8.8.8.8 (google dns) into the network panel dns (like this i don't loose Internet connection)

2- i stopped all the service before i updated to 2.1 and unchecked push certificates and stopped the certificates for all services.

3- don' t open the server app before a reboot

4- and now do the migration, it's worked for me

Sep 21, 2012 4:55 AM in response to MaartenP

No issues here after applying the update.

After the update completed I restarted my Mac Mini, started Server and it began configuration as if it was a first time install. After configuration completed all previous services started except VPN. I manually started that service which added a duplicate VPN port mapping to my AEBS. Opened Airport Utility, removed the dup VPN port mapping and all is working like before.

Sep 21, 2012 5:10 AM in response to haykong

I applied the update, and now nothing works. At first glance it behaves as though you've got the wrong password when you open server.app, but upon further investigation the server daemon won't start.

$ sudo /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.apple.serverd

2012-09-21 08:07:53.849 com.apple.serverd[410:1d03] unexpected connection error: Connection invalid

Not helping. All of the above have been tried including restarts, and there are other posts from past versions on the daemons not starting, none of those helped either.

We are going to stop using the server for everything but open directory. Its a toy. One of the bugs this fixes is that the slider bar for configuring anti-spam was "backwards", in other words you had to set it to 35 to get it to use a spam score of 5.

Sep 21, 2012 7:31 AM in response to RERobbins

I initially had issues, but that was because my DNS was pointing to itself in the network System Preferences. So when Server.App got replaced.. It stopped DNS Servers.. when it was configuring itself it stop at checking Apple push certificates server. I force quit it. Changed to DNS address to a valid one and restarted Server.app. This time it had no problems configuring itself.

I noticed it pulled some older settings from the old 10.7.4 migration folder..

/Library/Server/Previous/

and attempted to merge some settings with my current stuff.

It was odd that it took my old self-signed certificates from my 10,7.4 folder.

So I had to re-update my certicate and Apple push certifcates.

Noted: With the new server. appl update it removed the /Library/Server/Previous/ folder.

If I had to go through that update again.., I'll probably removed /Library/Server/Previous/ folder

so it can't pull older settings again.

Anyway things are running fine now.

Sep 21, 2012 9:40 AM in response to c2ric

Yeah I know it's normal to point to itself... I did not realize Installing X Server 2.1 was going to shut down everything and also the fact I forgot it was pointing to itself with services off which is why it could not contact the push server when the app was configuring the server. Yeah next time when I initialize I guess I'll just use google DNS and change it back afterwards.

Sep 21, 2012 5:59 PM in response to haykong

I had a similar experience. My server was set to only have one dns resolve: 127.0.0.1. I noticed certain services didn't start and the attempt to renew the Apple Push Notification Certificate kept failing. Lo and behold, when I looked at Network Settings, there were NO DNS servers present. I returned 127.0.0.1, did a restart, renewed certs and all seems well now.

10.8.2 ML and 2.1 OS X Server.app Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.