So, I just updated my 4S to iOS6. I wanted to try the new maps turn-by-turn. They actually worked pretty well... unfortunatley when I plugged my phone into my cars USB cable (which worked the day before via iOS5) I couldn't hear the audio directions. I turned on my Audible app to see if a book would play, no audio, though the play counter was counting so it was playing. I then tried iPod, playing, but no audio. I rebooted the phone and tried again, same thing.
I thought my cable wasn't working because of the update didn't like the fact that it was an old cable. Tried a new cable, still no worky. I have a seriously long commute, I NEED my audible to get through it. Aside from unplugging the **** thing and listening to it through the tiny, crappy iPhone speakers while I drive I think it's acceptable to expect to use my iPhone's USB cable through my car strereo like I did before I updated... please help!!!!!
Yea, they definitely dropped the ball on this one.
Well, in case it helps anyone fix their phone, this is the sequence of events that I went through to *somehow* get mine to work:
1. My phone had no music loaded on it other than the cloud music services.
2. After iOS6 it did not work in my Accord - same as everyone else reported, I get the "no song" message.
3. I did a full restore while connected to my computer with USB.
4. That did not fix the problem - was the same issue as before.
5. I did an "all settings reset" - that did not fix the problem either.
6. I transferred a couple of MP3's and a playlist from my computer to my iPhone.
7. It suddenly started to work.
A couple of things to note, though: The cloud services "kinda work" - I don't get the correct meta-data displaying in the car, and if I try to use the car's skip-ahead/skip-back buttons, it shuts off the music from the cloud source and starts playing a loaded mp3.