Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Today's security update issue

I checked for software updates on my Mac today and it said there was one security update. I chose to install the update and the system asked to restart after the install. Once the system came up, the Bluetooth Assistant was displayed stating that it was trying to find a Bluetooth device to pair to the computer. At one point it even said '1 found', but it never connected. I tried using the keyboard and that is not being recognized either. So basically, I can power on my Mac, but I have no interface to do anything. How do I resolve this issue? Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 16 GB RAM

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 5:09 PM

You've probably already thought of this, but can you borrow or steal buy a wired keyboard.

8 replies

Sep 21, 2012 4:30 AM in response to WZZZ

Yes, I was able to use a USB keyboard and mouse. Thanks WZZZ. The issue seems to be with the Bluetooth Assitant as it can find my keyboard and mouse after a few attempts, and it connects them for a very short amount of time, but then they become unconnected again and then I see a note about this version of OS X and Bluetooth may not be valid any longer.

Sep 21, 2012 5:58 AM in response to Scotty B1

Just a guess, but can you run through the Bluetooth setup again? Copy the settings already there with screenshots first then remove everything and redo. From System Preferences>Bluetooth

Again, this is just a guess. I don't know why the update would have affected Bluetooth and, unless I'm missing it, I'm not seeing anything in the "About the security content...." article for Bluetooth.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5501

This kind of message has been appearing for people who moved Mail out of the Applications folder and the update couldn't find it, but I don't see why the location of your Bluetooth files would have changed or been involved in the update.

Maybe someone else will know....

Sep 28, 2012 6:53 AM in response to WZZZ

Just got around to try this, but this step is a little confusing considering the issue at hand.

Step 7 - Turn Bluetooth on. Begin pairing devices. This involves clicking: Bluetooth icon in menu bar >> Set up Bluetooth Device >> Select Bluetooth device >> Follow on-screen instructions. In the case of your keyboard, I would suggest pressing the ‘Enter/Return’ button several times after entering the passphrase shown on your screen.

I'm not very technical so how would I do this when my BT devices don't work and the USB devies are not connected? (They were all disconnected back in Step 3.)

Oct 11, 2012 5:44 AM in response to WZZZ

Possibly, but in step 8 he clearly is asking to use something to 'click' on the bluetooth icon in the menu bar.

Begin pairing devices. This involves clicking: Bluetooth icon in menu bar >> Set up Bluetooth Device >> Select Bluetooth device >> Follow on-screen instructions. In the case of your keyboard, I would suggest pressing the ‘Enter/Return’ button several times after entering the passphrase shown on your screen.

Anyway, per Apple support, it turns out that I had a defective hard drive. Once it was replaced everything is back to working like clockwork.

Thanks for all of your assistance throughout this issue!

Today's security update issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.