Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a technical reason why the first gen iPad will not mirror?

I have a first gen iPad running 5.1.1

I had 5.1 and that did not work either.

A new 2012 apple tv and no go on the mirroring. My iPhone 4a mirrors. Why can't the first gen iPad

Apple TV (3rd generation)

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 7:50 PM

It's not powwerful enough hardware wise is the likely answer. Whether this is just pure processor power or a GPU feture I am not certain.

Unlike Airplay of a pre-enocded video Airplay mirroring requires on the fly compression of display frames and transmission to the AppleTV - Apple either deemed it not up to the task to a sufficient level or just excluded it hoping you'd buy a newer one.

AC

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2012 7:50 PM in response to See Lee

It's not powwerful enough hardware wise is the likely answer. Whether this is just pure processor power or a GPU feture I am not certain.

Unlike Airplay of a pre-enocded video Airplay mirroring requires on the fly compression of display frames and transmission to the AppleTV - Apple either deemed it not up to the task to a sufficient level or just excluded it hoping you'd buy a newer one.

AC

Sep 20, 2012 8:06 PM in response to See Lee

See Lee wrote:

I think the newer iPads have a 5 or 5x chip set. What are they using in the first gen?

I never thought of my iPad as slow

I couldn't tell you off the top of my head.

Yes iPad 1 still seems good for me too, but the 3rd gen is noticeably smoother in use.

Absolute specs are really irrelevant - Apple have not allowed the iPad 1 to mirror and that's that - pretty much like older Macs pre 2011 not being able to do so due to lack of a CPU feature.

AC

Is there a technical reason why the first gen iPad will not mirror?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.