Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I fix I/O error trying to read or write to disk -36?

I am working in Mac OS 10.6.8. I am using Quark 8.5.1. I just laid out an 80 page magazine and when I try to save my work I get this error message. I tried throwing out my Quark preferences thinking maybe they became corrupt, but that did not solve the issue. Next step will be to reinstall Quark, but I am trying to avoid that. Please help!

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 7:09 PM

3 replies

Sep 21, 2012 7:53 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for responding Linc! I am sure this is an inevitability where the drive is concerned, though my iMac is only 2 years old and I still have 170 GB available. Through researching forums and trial and error, I think it was a Quark glitch more than a hard drive one (at least I am hoping). Apparently I overloaded the color palette (since other files were fine I deduced that it was this particular file with the problem and not my computer). After creating a new layout and appending the original file to it (which eliminated the colors in the palette not in use) I was able to solve my problem and save my 80 page magazine. Whew! Thanks again!

How do I fix I/O error trying to read or write to disk -36?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.