Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP won't wake up after installing 10.8.2

Since installing 10.8.2 my MBP, if i leave my laptop running and walk away.. It shuts the display down but the fan keeps running.. When i return to wake it, it will not wake up just sits with a black screen..'

i have to power cycle my laptop to be able to use it again..

Is anyone else experiencing this?

it's a late 2009 MBP

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 7:36 PM

32 replies

Sep 21, 2012 10:10 AM in response to spyd4r

Exactly same problem, and the processor seems to be going full bore, as the case is hot and the fans are blasting. Tried reinstalling the combo update, repairing permissions and even disabling the hibernate function using the terminal command, all to no avail!!!

This is a show stopper, as I have my MacBook Pro set up with a docking station and don't want to turn it off every time I walk away.

Is there a set of instructions for reverting to 10.8.1?

Sep 21, 2012 2:50 PM in response to spyd4r

I'm having same exact issue, since installing 10.8.2. After putting it to sleep, it will wake perfectly fine within a few minutes or so. But at some point, after sleep's been on a while [an hour, 5 hours, overnight], the laptop's fans start running, it gets hot, but the screen remains black - and it won't wake up without a complete power down and start up.

This is a HUGE issue, as it's frying my machine whenever sleep kicks in...

Please advise

Sep 24, 2012 2:21 PM in response to JP Barbosa

JP Barbosa wrote:

Same here with my MBP after 10.8.2. Unbelievable... Looks like Apple test new OSX releases only in their brand new computers.

doesnt even look like that is the case. my rMBP is as new as they come, absolute top of the range.. ever since the 10.8.2 upgrade i cant put the thing to sleep. (Lucky it starts up in 7 seconds anyway)

Sep 24, 2012 4:37 PM in response to spyd4r

Same story here. Late 2008 Macbook Pro, no problems with sleep until now.

My setup: MBP connected to external monitor via mini Displayport->HDMI, with USB hub connected to mouse, keyboard, and external hard drive.

Since the 10.8.2 update, whether I put it to sleep manually or let it go to sleep on its own, when I come back the fans are running, the screen is black, and it doesn't respond to any keyboard or mouse commands. When it's awake I generally have the fans set to 4500 rpm using smcFanControl, and when it's locked up like this, they're running slower than that but faster than the quiet 2000 rpm default.

I have tried disconnecting the monitor and USB hub, and the problem persists.

Sep 25, 2012 5:32 PM in response to spyd4r

I have a rMBP and have been having this issue since 10.8.2 as well. My laptop stays connected to the Thunderbolt display and, regardless of the lid open or not, every morning fans would be on and I would have to hard restart it.

I think I solved the issue turning off "Wake for network access" and "Enable Power Nap while...". At least I haven't had that problem in the past 2 days.

Bad Apple!

MBP won't wake up after installing 10.8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.