Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage on iOS 6 doesn't make alert sounds consistently?

After upgrading to iOS 6, my iMessage no longer makes alert noises when I get incoming messages on a consistent basis.

If I swipe in and check manuallly, my texts are there, but the phone never made any alert sound like it used to.

It seems to be worse after the phone has been "sleeping" for a while.

Anyone else?

MBP (Late 2008 Unibody) 15, 2.4Ghz/256Mb 9600GT, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 7:58 PM

4 replies

Sep 23, 2012 5:44 PM in response to J Law

Ok, so it seems like the problem gets worse when OS X's Messages app is up.

When it's up and active, I get notifications on my iPhone around 1/4 of the time.

When OS X is sleeping, I get notifications on the iPhone around 1/2 the time.

When OS X is completely shut down, I get notifications 100% of the time.

Somehow it seems like the Messages backend thinks it's delivering to OS X and doesn't need to notify the phone.

No one else has had this problem?

Dec 9, 2012 9:42 PM in response to J Law

Same problem after upgrading to iOS 6.0.1. Alert sound only works if you 1.) close out of Messages and go to the home screen. 2.) close Messages app completely 3.) leave screen on while viewing main message screen which list all messages by sender's name. I found a work around but it is not a fix. Go to -->Settings-->Notifications -->Messages and turn on the "View in Lock Screen" option. This will allow the alert sound for Messages to work consistently again. You may want to turn off the preview option as well. Again, this is not a fix but I have to assume Apple is aware of the issue given the numerous posts I have Googled. Good Luck.

Jul 27, 2013 3:07 PM in response to JdaCpa

I get the same thing.

I am in a convo in iMessage. Lock the phone with convo still on the screen. Convo still occurring, with my friend or friends replying and stuff. But I don't hear a single text alert. Not even the little alert that sounds when you are viewing the convo.

Now I unlock phone, exit convo or go to home screen. Lock phone again. Now I hear text alerts from that same convo. Seems like alerts don't sound when I'm in the conversation.

What's the problem here?

iMessage on iOS 6 doesn't make alert sounds consistently?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.