Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP!!!!!! Will restoring my iphone delete all my texts/pictures??

I tried to update my phone tonight, and it went into recovery mode. Now the only thing I can do is restore my phone.. I cant even get into it, it has some kind of locked screen with a usb plug and the ITunes symbol. Question is the header. Will I lose everything if I restore?? I thought I restored before and it didn't delete anything.. but I honestly don't remember anymore.

PLEASE HELP. I have baby pictures on there 😟

iPhone 4, iOS 4.1

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 8:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 8:53 PM

p.s. In iTunes, it will tell you when your last backup occurred in the iPhone Summary window under the heading Backup.

7 replies

Sep 20, 2012 8:51 PM in response to beachaddict

Same thing happened to me tonight! Luckily I had just backed up to both my PC and iCloud before doing the update, which is the key to recovering everything. My iPhone was stuck at that same screen - with the USB plug and arrow to iTunes icon - and I called Apple tech support twice. They told me I'd have to wait until a 2 p.m. Saturday appointment at my local Apple store because tomorrow is Release Day!! But I decided to try again, and unplugged and replugged the USB to my iPhone and PC, and when iTunes came up I went ahead with the restore. That time my iPhone came on and said "Restore in Progress", and maybe an hour later, everything is now back to normal. Including all my photos, and albums. But it does take a while.

So, hopefully you did a backup of all your most recent photos, before the update began.

Good luck!

Sep 20, 2012 8:44 PM in response to tteya

Have you done your restore yet? I've been conversing elsewhere and the consensus is that it depends on when your last backup was. Some say the backup is automatic when you sync with pc, and I sure hope so, but I haven't even done that in several weeks. Hopefully, you backed up earlier today! My phone is frozen too witht the same screen. It would have been nice if the phone had qued me to backup before proceeding. I was too quick to "install". If you have completed the process, would you please tell me the results? I do hope you didn't lose those precious pics. Thanks.

Apr 20, 2015 12:07 AM in response to tteya

Yes, I'm having the same issue. While trying to update my IPhone 5 to IOS 8.3 through iTunes the file became corrupt my IPhone was stuck on recovery mode. I had tried everything but nothing seemed to worked. I gave up and decided to call apple for help, they had me on hold for about 20 minutes. While waiting I had found the program Reiboot and it saved my IPhone (I was still on hold). If none of the things mentioned before me work for you do the following

1) Go to http://www.tenorshare.com/product/reiboot.html

2) Download reiboot for Mac/PC depending on your preference.

3) Install then run the program.

4) Connect your IPhone/IPad/IPod then click exit recovery and it should return you device back to how it was before you tried to update.

NOTE:If you want to try updating again do it through your device it worked out for me.

HELP!!!!!! Will restoring my iphone delete all my texts/pictures??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.