Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting Up Airport Extreme (Snow - 2nd Generation) on Lion

Hello everyone!

I am trying to replace my current D-Link router with the Airport Extreme. I have been having difficulties connecting one of the Mac through the D-Link router and someone advised me to use Airport Extreme.

Now the problem is, the Airport Extreme has a password set to the network which I have already forgotten. I have tried hard-reset (push the button at the back) but the Airport Utility doesn't detect the base at all.

Here's what I use:

Mac OS X Lion (10.7.5)

Airport Utility (6.1)

Airport Extreme (2nd Generation - looks like a space ship 😝)

Service Provider's modem (fibre optic cable)

Hope someone can guide me with this. I called Apple but there's nothing much they can do cos my Apple Care has looong expired. And they asked me to pay USD159/30 days of service!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 9:45 PM

6 replies

Sep 20, 2012 10:03 PM in response to Edahani Wan Yahya

Administering an original "round" 802.11b/g AirPort Extreme from a Lion computer will require a bit of effort on your part.

You will need one of two possible versions of AirPort Utility. Here are the links for both:

AirPort Utility 5.6

AirPort Utility 5.5.3

Unfortunately I no longer have your model Extreme so I am not certain if AirPort Utility 5.6 will work, but I am certain that AirPort Utility 5.5.3 will.

First: download AirPort Utility 5.6 and install it. It will be installed in your Utilities folder and will be named "AirPort Utility 5.6" to distinguish itself from 6.1. See if that version will recognize your Extreme.

If it does not, download AirPort Utility 5.5.3 and attempt to install it. I know that will recognize your Extreme, the problem is that I am not certain it runs in Lion. If you determine that AU 5.6 does not recognize your Extreme, and AU 5.5.3 won't run with Lion, then I'll have to think about this problem some more.

AirPort Utility 6.1 will not work with your Extreme so forget that. Leave it on your Mac, you can't delete it, so just ignore it.

Sep 20, 2012 11:02 PM in response to John Galt

Hello John

It's so kind of you to reply me that quick! Thanks so much!

I have downloaded AU 5.6, unfortunately it doesn't detect my AE. Then I tried installing AU 5.5.3, however I couldn't find the app after the installation was completed. So I'm guessing Lion doesn't support that.

I wouldn't prefer having my Mac in 2 partition and install Tiger to just run the setup. I'm hoping for another option, would there be one?

Sep 20, 2012 11:15 PM in response to Edahani Wan Yahya

... I couldn't find the app after the installation was completed.

Are you quite certain? If it installed it must be somewhere. If it did not, the package installer should have informed you that it "cannot be installed on this disk" or words to that effect.

The default location would be in Utilities.

Do a Spotlight search for it. It is also possible that it over-wrote AirPort Utility 6.1. Find what you think might be AU 6.1 and "get info" or just open it.

Sep 20, 2012 11:43 PM in response to Edahani Wan Yahya

This KB article says AirPort Utility 5.6 should be able to administer your Extreme:

AirPort Base Station: How to set up and configure an 802.11g AirPort Extreme Base Station or AirPort Express in OS X Lion

If you are using OS X Lion and wish to set up or configure an older 802.11g AirPort Extreme Base Station, or 802.11g AirPort Express, manually download and install AirPort Utility 5.6. AirPort Utility 5.6 can be used to configure earlier 802.11g AirPort Extreme Base Station, and AirPort Express; it can also be used for 802.11n AirPort base stations.

So something else is wrong.

By the way I booted a Lion system and confirmed that AirPort Utility 5.5.3 will work. However, according to the above so should AU 5.6.

Remember that when you "hard reset" an Extreme, it creates an open network with the name "Apple Network nnnnnn". You must explicitly connect to that network.

If you're still having trouble, try connecting your Extreme directly to the MBP with an Ethernet cable. That usually works when connecting wirelessly does not.

Setting Up Airport Extreme (Snow - 2nd Generation) on Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.