Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove the " 1" from Facebook contacts?

With the new iOS 6 Facebook features my contacts now include everything from iCloud and from Facebook. I love it and appreciate that it links duplicate contacts between the two groups. However, the phone numbers do not register as the same. All of the contacts imported from Facebook have a "+1" in front of them, and my contacts from iCloud do not. How can I correct this issue? What is the "+1" even for?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 10:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 10:14 PM

The "+1" is a country code - it represents the United States.

3 replies

Sep 21, 2012 1:05 AM in response to sberman

Yes, it is the country code. But the question still stands, is it possible to remove it? Scott isn't the only that doesn't have the country on numbers in the previous contact list. This causes duplicate phone number listings for the contacts with their number on Facebook. This was issue for me when I tried to have Siri call someone. Since their phone number was listed a second time with the country code, Siri asked which number I wanted to call them on.

Sep 21, 2012 9:26 AM in response to Scott Cooley

It seems that the only way to currently correct the problem is to add the "+1" to all my my iCloud contacts. It's a bit of a chore, but I tested it and I no longer have Siri asking me which of two basically identical phone numbers do I want to use to send a text or make a phone call.

For those that sync iCloud with Outlook, there is a quick fix for it. Opening up the contact information on a PC, double clicking on the phone number pulls up a built in phone check which automaticall adds the "+1" on the number. My country/region box is default to the United States. After that, clicking OK, and then Save & Close and move on to the next. It's still a task, but a lot faster than doing it all on the iPhone itself.

I checked in the Address Book app on my MBP but couldn't find as quick of a fix on it so the OS X users out there will have to manually do it all I suppose.

How do I remove the " 1" from Facebook contacts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.