Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why aren't PDFs from iTunes not syncing to iBooks on iOS 6?

Now that I've updated to iOS 6, all the PDFs in my iTunes won't sync to iBooks on iOS 6 anymore.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 11:03 PM

24 replies

Sep 30, 2012 9:40 AM in response to bondingfortoday

Since posting a couple of hours ago, I've done a bit of digging.....

* I still don't get the "open in iBooks" option when viewing pdfs attached to emails .....however...

* I can get pdfs in iTunes to synch to my iPad .....

In iTunes, Click " (your iPad named) in Devices", then click Books along the top of the screen, click

"Selected Books/ Only pdf files" and ensure there is a tick in the box adjacent to any file you want to synch

to or keep on the iPad. Synch the device again and you should find the files transferred to your iPad.

Can't think why the upgrade from iOS 5.x.x to iOS 6 should have affected this but I've never previously found it necessary; any pdf file (or any other file for that matter) introduced into iTunes has been "live".

Oct 11, 2012 1:29 AM in response to bondingfortoday

I found a solution for this problem.

In Part 3 and 4, I ended up automating the repeating steps of this lengthy process.

The PDF files then show up correctly as PDFs under the Books tab of the iDevice.

Note that it doesn't work changing all of the files at once in Part 3 and 4.

In Part 3, don't change the Media Kind to Podcasts. Your files might vanish.

Part 1 was needed in order to make changing the Media Kind of the files possible. You might not need it.

Here's the full process. I hope it helps.

Part 1:

Select all PDF files,

secondary-click them,

click Get Info,

select the Option tab,

change their Media Kind to Books

and click the OK button.

Part 2:

Create a new playlist and add all the PDF files to it.

Part 3:

Go to the playlist with all PDF files,

select the first PDF file,

secondary-click it,

click Get Info,

select the Option tab and,

change its Media Kind to Music,

click the Next button and

repeat the last two steps for the remaining PDF files.

Then click the OK button.

Part 4:

Go to the playlist with all PDF files,

select the first PDF file,

secondary-click it,

click Get Info,

select the Option tab and,

change its Media Kind back to Books,

click the Next button and

repeat the last two steps for the remaining PDF files.

Then click the OK button.

Part 5:

Delete the playlist created in Part 2 if desired.

Dec 3, 2012 10:12 AM in response to bondingfortoday

Like everyone else they were not syncing for me. I also do not get the option to open in iBooks my pdf's when I download or get them in emails on my iPad or iPhone.

I fixed the first problem by highlighting all my PDF's and right clicking and choosing get info..then in the options even though they were already identified as Books in the Media checkbox, I chose it again and applied it. Onlt ot the PDS files. After this they howed up in my Book?PDF list in Itunes and was able to sync them

The problem or new "feature" of not being able to add pdf files to iBooks from emails or other apps, I dont know why Apple did this. But it really makes my organizing my PDF files a pain for me.

Why aren't PDFs from iTunes not syncing to iBooks on iOS 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.