Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Spam Folder acting wierd.

My main email account's Mail Application Spam Folder all of a sudden is not allowing me to actually see any of the emails in it but the number counter display is reading they are in there.

Also odd is my other email account's spam folder is acting normal.

Anyone have any suggestion that doesn't require me deleting my preferences and re setting up all my rules and folders?

Thanks,

Robert

P.S. I should add an arrow showed up next to the main email account's SPAM folder but when I click it nothing happens as one would expect from such an arrow next to such an email folder.

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 20" Aluminum w/ Aluminum Wireless keyboard & Mighty Mouse

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 10:31 PM

16 replies

Sep 21, 2012 10:07 AM in response to Robert Andrews

Hi Robert,

Have you highlighted it & chose Rebuild from Mail's Mailbox menu?

Might want to do the below first...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

If perchance you can't find your install Disc, at least try it from the Safe Boot part onward.

Sep 22, 2012 10:49 PM in response to BDAqua

Hey BDAqua, It has been a REALLY long time since I safe booted. Once it initiates can I let go of the C key or do I have to hold it down the entire time? I seriously forget.

I did a reboot from the start up disk and all was fine. I had a few permission problems and they were fixed, nothing major.

But the Junk Folder is acting the same. However the on My Mac and secondary email account Junk Folder did let me rebuild them but to no avail and the main account Junk Folder is still grayed out for Rebuilding.

I'll wait to do the Safe Boot at this point until I hear back from you, as I really can't be held to the keyboard for crazy long periods as you suggested it might take.

Thanks,

Robert

Sep 25, 2012 6:06 AM in response to BDAqua

Here is what was happening.

The mbox extension was missing for some reason from the junk.mbox folder.

/Library/Mail/POP-username@mailserver/

I added the extension while the Mail app was closed and relaunched the program.

The grey arrow dissapeared, the rebuild function is no longer grayed out and all the messages are viewable now.

Peace out,

Robert

Mail Spam Folder acting wierd.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.