Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VIP Mail not working

Email messages from my tagged VIP's do not end up in the VIP folder. They show a star next to them in my regular inbox, but my VIP folder is always empty.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6, VIP mail not working

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 11:32 PM

12 replies

Oct 17, 2012 7:24 AM in response to cslhilo

Do the emails from your VIPs go into your inbox, or are they filtered to another mailbox/label. On an iOS device the VIP mailbox only shows items in your inboxes. Even if they are cached in another mailbox. Therefore you won't receive notifications for them (iOS Mail only supports notifications for emails going to your inbox).

On the Mail app on a mac you can change the notification settings so that Mail sends notifications for every mailbox though. (In Settings --> General).

Nov 4, 2012 11:12 AM in response to cslhilo

I have since found out the cause of the problem for me..

I have custom rules that sort based on email sender's domain that router into sub-folders of the ibox and the VIP feature ONLY supports the actual inbox..

the worst part of Apple support is that the software developers do not provide a manual to the frontline team and they are left to disover these "features" with the customer..

nothing I enjoy more than paying for AppleCare and teaching the techs..

-R

Feb 26, 2014 9:51 PM in response to cslhilo

I used this workaround and it seemed to work for fixing the VIP problem.

After deleting and killing as suggested, the iCloud Helper restarted and the cache repopulated with fresh ones. I then clicked on inbox and back onto VIP's and they were all there!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5505824?answerId=25003487022#25003487022

bthomp2420

Try deleting the contents of ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.iCloudHelper and then kill the com.apple.iCloudHelper process in the activity monitor.

May 6, 2015 2:42 PM in response to cslhilo

If you're filtering a particular contact to their own folder you'll need to configure the push settings to also get push for that folder. Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Fetch New Data -> tap the account -> tap the folder the contact's mail goes to (under "PUSHED MAILBOXES")

Otherwise the device doesn't know about their incoming mail and will never show you their notifications as by default it only synchronizes the inbox.

I've noticed that it seems the device won't sync existing mail to the VIP folder, only new mail after this is enabled

VIP Mail not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.