Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why did my ipad 2 download ios6 without my permission?

I did not want to update to ios 6 but for some reason I got a badge on my settings app and when I went to software update it said ios6 was already downloaded to my ipad and on itunes it was taking up over 600mb of storage in other on my ipad. I was forced to either update or keep 600mb of wasted storage and an annoying badge on my settings icon. Why would it download ios without my permission and how to i prevent this because i DO NOT want this to happen to my 4th generation ipod touch. (its in airplane mode now so it cant do this) Also this happened to my ipod touch before for ios 5.1.1 it just downloaded it without my permission.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 11:19 PM

7 replies

Sep 21, 2012 11:30 PM in response to Diavonex

That's what I figured. So can anyone at least tell me how to prevent my iPod touch/iPad from automatically downloading iOS updates? I really don't want my iPod touch to update and I'm afraid to leave its wifi on and have it do this again. As of right now if you check for update in settings it says iOS 6 with the option to download and install and there's no badge on the settings icon. What happens if it downloads it on its own is that the badge appears on the settings app and when you go to software update it just says install instead of download and install and the 600mb update is wasting system memory. If anyone can tell me how to prevent this it would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 22, 2012 1:00 AM in response to Jimmy283298392

I have the same issue with my iPad2. Apple is sending the iOS update over the air (OTA) and there is no way for you to prevent this from happening unless you intend to use the Airplane mode permanently on your iPod touch. Just wait for iOS 6.1 which I believe is coming soon. This iOS 6 is not ready yet. Apple only required 4 beta version for iOS 6 vs the 7 beta version on iOS 5. Cutting corners to make more profit.

why did my ipad 2 download ios6 without my permission?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.