Skip navigation

iOS 6 upgrade, wi-fi and e-mail problem in sleep mode

3069 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2012 4:47 AM by Gmartin476 RSS
Petr Novák Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 21, 2012 12:07 AM

I made an upgrade to iOS 6 on my iPad 2 (Wi-Fi+3G). Problem is that when I'm on wi-fi and the iPad goes to sleep mode it's not checking my e-mail account. In this situation it wont download any of received e-mails so it wont give me any notification about it. In the moment when I switch on (from sleeping mode) the iPad, it connets to internet using the wi-fi and even after I open the Mail App then it checks the mail server and downloads new mails. Safari has not any problem with connection. I tryed to use only the 3G connection. In this case there is everything ok. New e-mails are downloaded in every 15 minutes. In iOS 5 was everything ok. Now I think that the problem must be in the wi-fi connection or something with the sleep mode.

iPad 2, iOS 6
  • Lahroo Calculating status...

Same issue. But my iPhone 4 does it as well. Only thing is with my iPhone it maintains a persistent 3G connection so at least I'm getting my messages as they arrive. But if I relied solely on WiFi  and my device was in sleep mode, I wouldn't get any notifications.

On my iPad 2 I've tried forgetting the network, renew lease, rebooted, airplane mode etc. Nothing works.

It's not crippling my device but it's really annoying and it's not the way it should behave.

• chances14 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

yes i have been experiencing this issue too in which none of my email accounts will push/fetch messages unless i go to the app and manually fetch the messages. i'm on ipad2 wifi only version

just curious but have you been experiencing problems with imessage as well. it seems that whenever my email is not pushing messages, imessage isn't working

• Lahroo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Yes. iMessage requires a persistent data connection (wifi or 3G) so when it's sleeping and I'm only using wifi, wifi goes to sleep too so no messages come through.

• Doeannie Calculating status...

Does anyone know when this mail problem will be sorted, is it worth uninstalling ios6 and reinstall ios5?

I am getting so annoyed at not being able to send and receive mail.

Any replies would be appreciated.

come on apple get a move on!!!!!

• graemerax Calculating status...

I have IPad 2, since upgrade to IOS 6 my email has been extremely unreliable. I have deleted and set up accounts again but same results. At least 50% of the time not even manual updating of inbox works, for instance have just tried to update email now, but after refresh it is telling me last update was last night and inbox remains with old emails. I have also had same issue but less severe with iPhone 4.

• Gmartin476 Calculating status...

I seem to be getting pushed emails, but sending has been a nightmare...particularly forwarding or sending a page/link from Safari. Doe anyone know a fix for this? Is Apple working on it?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (4)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.