Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ok so I own an alienware m14x r2 with ivy bridge and a gt650m graphics card. I am really fascinated by the new MacBook Pro non retina. These two laptops are spec wise the same. Would I see a performance issue in games if I switched to the MacBook Pro.

Ok so I own an alienware m14x r2 with ivy bridge and it also a gt650m graphics card. I am really fascinated by the new MacBook Pro 15in non retina. These two laptops are spec wise the same. The price difference is the same as well. They both have ivy bridge processors, both have the same graphics cards, and both have the same ram. I am a gamer and I know the alienware is known for gaming but with the upgraded macbook pro, I would like to consider it. Would I see a performance issue in games if I switched to the MacBook Pro? For example, will the frames per second drop on games? If the alienware and the MacBook Pro have the same specifications, then what is the difference? Also the alienware has 2gb of gt 650m graphics while the MacBook Pro has 1gb of gt 650m graphics.

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 12:04 AM

2 replies

Dec 25, 2012 11:09 PM in response to ryan787

I am a huge Apple fan but I must say that if you are a gamer you have to go with windows. First of all about 90% of games only work on windows and secondly since most game engines only run on windows the games they make run better on windows. Right now I have a 15inch macbook pro and since I am studying Game Design and Development in college I am making the switch to an Alienware M14x R2 and I have to say I am looking forward to not being limited by my computer. Seriously Apple makes wonderful computers... but not for gaming. And I just quickly made a macbook pro online as close to the alienware I am getting and it is almost $1000 more expensive ($2,449.00 mac vs $1,599.00 Alienware).

The bottom line is if you are buying a computer for gaming go with an alienware but for anything else go with a mac.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Ok so I own an alienware m14x r2 with ivy bridge and a gt650m graphics card. I am really fascinated by the new MacBook Pro non retina. These two laptops are spec wise the same. Would I see a performance issue in games if I switched to the MacBook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.