Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing Photostreams in iPhoto 9.4 not working

iPhoto used to be so simple. Now, with Albums, Events, Photos, Journals, Photostreams etc it's all becoming a bit of a dog's breakfast. All I want to do is to share some photos with my family.

So I use the new Photostream sharing facility in iPhoto 9.4. I follow the instructions to the letter: Select Photos>Click Share> Choose Photstream from the pop-up>then New Photostream>then email addresses>then click Share. But the new shared Photostream is empty and I end up sending an email to my family inviting them to subscribe to an empty Photostream. What's going on? Is anyone else getting this problem? Should I be doing something clever that Apple hasn't yet told me about?

Grateful for any help.

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 1:38 AM

19 replies

Sep 21, 2012 6:52 AM in response to lynjon1

I have the same problem. I deleted my first empty shared photostream and shared the same event again but renamed it to something different. It worked a little better. 122 of my 210 photos showed up in the shared photostream but despite it has been more than 24 hours since I shared it it is still stuck on 122. And I don't appreciate that those e-mails are being sent automatically to my "subscribers", there should be an option to disable that function. Now in their inboxes they have invitations to one deleted photostream and one incomplete, quite embarrassing, frankly. And I haven't found any way to add subscribers once the stream has been shared either, which means I have to upload duplicates of the pictures if I want to share them with an additional subscriber. I love this feature as an idea, but the way it works now leaves a lot more that has to be fixed.

Sep 25, 2012 5:59 AM in response to perfromchapel hill

I had a reply from iPhoto Support which said the following:

Under the Apple menu [], select System Preferences and click on the iCloud icon.

Turn off Photo Stream.

Go to iPhoto, click Photo Stream on the sidebar and click "Turn on Photo Stream".

This was supposed to clear the problem. Sadly, for me at least, it hasn't. Now, I can create a shared Photostream and share it with myself, but it's empty and, now, it doesn't even share itself with me. :-(

Nov 5, 2012 1:39 PM in response to lynjon1

This is exactly why I stopped using iPhoto. Not only does it lock me completely in an Apple environment, but its operation is completely erratic and counter intuitive. I tried hard using for sharing photos, and I hit the same problems as you guys.

At the end I just gave up. I am now using a simple dropbox account. Not only is it simple to use - just drag and drop photos to the dropbox "drive", but I can share the photos with anyone, not just Apple devices.

Albert

Nov 5, 2012 2:23 PM in response to agodfrin

And do you have a question for the users here who can help you? Or do you simply wish to clog the board up so people actually wanting help can not find it?

If iPhoto is not for you then very simply do not use it - everyone has free choice - for those who do this is a great place to get help if others do not clog it all up.

LN

Sharing Photostreams in iPhoto 9.4 not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.